Friday, 16 August 2013

Looking through the keyhole....to 1993

Folks, I'm officially officially resuscitating this too long dormant blog.

My not-quite-a-comeback comes for two reasons. On one hand, if I don't start writing regularly now I probably won't for an even longer time so this is my way of making sure this place doesn't expire. More pressing, though, I've decided to tag along with Walter on his retrospective look at the year 1993 in film and with Oscar. Way back in the baby stages of this blog, I was heading through the years of the aughts with retrospectives for each. Touching on a year in the 90s is more exciting. I wonder if the films I remember as my favourites will still be the ones I love the most. And I have all of those blindspots to fill, too.
I include that gorgeous shot from The Remains of the Day above, because chances are - if you look through a hole to 1993 you'd see a shot of Emma Thompson who gave THREE fantastic performances that year. I suspect that had she not already won an Oscar in 1992 she'd have won one in 1993.

So starting next week I'll be spending most of my time heading back to 1993 to discuss the films from that year I liked, the Oscar ballots in some of the category and filling some blind spots.

As it stands, by Picture ballot from the year would be:
  • The Age of Innocence
  • In the Name of the Father
  • The Piano
  • The Remains of the Day
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

I'm rather in love with the first four, but I'm curious if I'll make any changes wading through the year. Especially considering the unseen potential gems I've yet to partake of. Most exciting unseen prospects for 1993:
  • Dazed and Confused
  • Farewell My Concubine
  • Jurassic Park (I know!)
  • King of the Hill
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer

So, while I dust off my brain for film writing again. Take the journey with me and steer me in the direction of your favourites from 1993? Any film of the year you're hoping I write about?

3 comments:

Paul S said...

Flesh and Bone.

Shane Slater said...

You grew up in the 90s and never watched Jurassic Park?? What a fascinating childhood. :P

Walter L. Hollmann said...

We are gonna have so. Much. FUN!

Looking forward most to your observations on FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE and ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES. Hoping you also get around to THREE COLORS: BLUE and RUBY IN PARADISE.

I can already see by your Picture ballot that we...are gonna have some debates.