Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Julianne's victory lap...

Two months to the day and it's all done, my somewhat loopy endeavour to poll the most essential Performance of the '90s has come to an end. I've already thanked the contributors, and I'll do so again because it wouldn't have been half as fun (or any fraction possible) without your help.

If you've been checking the poll which closed yesterday you'd see that Julianne Moore maintained the lead she got over Jodie Foster early on and managed to win the entire tournament. I think Amir's blurb essentially summed up all that's good about the performance. I'll tip my hat to him again, and all the other contributors. All of you who voted, it was rich. My favourite (personal) thing about this tournament was considering opposite performances opposite each other. It encourages you to consider differences in acting styles and talents and makes you realise just who you'd root for in a throwdown. Case in point, I love Brad Pitt in Fight Club but I didn't vote for him in ANY of his match-ups. The full bracket is HERE, how the project came about is HERE.
But it's only proof of how lucky we are. There are great performances to recognise if you care to look, and if Julianne is to represent the nineties in cinematic acting I'm way all right with that.

Are you?

5 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

She's very deserving! Nice job with this tournement. You put so much work and love into it. I had a good time reading and voting.

Paolo said...

And she was the go-to girl for the indie 90's (speaking of which how the hell have she and Tarantino not worked together yet. Weirds).

Also, FACT: Marisa Tomei was also considered for Amber Waves. Can you imagine?

Amir said...

Yayyy!

Paolo - By now everyone knows how much I love this performance, but weirdly enough, I can totally see Marisa Tomei doing a fine job with the role.

Nick Prigge said...

Ju-li-anne! Ju-li-anne! Ju-li-anne!

Good show, man. Thanks for putting this whole thing on. And also...

"FACT: Marisa Tomei was also considered for Amber Waves." That is alternate universe I want to see.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

brittani thank you! once you guys had fun reading and voting it was a success.

paolo and two decades later she's STILL defining and redefining herself. is there any 90s star who was so so zeitgeist they didn't cross over to the next decade (and this current one?

amir, nick WHAT? WHAT? my head is spinning. i love julianne and love her here, but marisa tomei?! i can't even.