Friday, 14 September 2012

Will the Real J. Law please stand up?

Or, Get Your Own Fan Name; Or, Where are you Jude?

Twitter can get really confusing at times, especially when us movie fans start referring to movie stars by unofficial semi-abbreviate handles to save space. Case in point, I was spying on a twitter conversation (as is my wont) recently and it took me half an hour to realise that the ardent love for a J. Law that someone was espousing was NOT love for Jude Law. Imagine my horror (I jest) when I realised that it was in fact Jennifer Lawrence. Miss Lawrence, it seems has – in her fresh up-and-comer way – appropriated the handle formerly held by Jude. It’s probably all and well that I didn’t tweet an enthusiastic send-up to Jude in reply. That would have just been awkward for everyone.

BUT, it did get me thinking about the state of J. Law’s career. (The original one.) Back when Jude starred in those 6 films in 2004 (eat your heart out Jessica Chastain) his career seemed to be on an upward spiral but that was incidentally the signs of a career sputtering, it seems. He hasn’t had a prominent role worthy of his chops since then. And, no Sherlock Holmes does not count. Not remotely. It’s increasingly given me pause when I’ve been moved to confess that Jude is my favourite among the crowd of 30ish to 40ish actors (that ground of DiCaprio, Pitt, Fassbender, Phoenix, Depp etc). I could argue for his work in either Breaking and Entering and Contagion but other than that when I think of Jude as being one of my favourite contemporary performances it becomes an issue when I have to go back almost a decade for proof of his goodnesss.

But why are you looking up? The answer isn't in the stars....
360 earlier this year didn’t quite appease me, so I’m doubly anxious to see Anna Karenina in hopes that that I can get a current Law performance to use in defend of his talent. I’m not sure if it’s his stage work or his children keeping him from seeking out finer roles. But, then, he’s done 12 films since 2004 and with the exception of Contagion, Breaking and Entering and maaaaaybe The Holiday he’s either been an incidental character or surrounded by a shoddy film. So it might just be mismanagement. I worry for Jude not inasmuch as I fear his talent is going (2 Olivier Award nominations for Hamlet and Anna Christie in the last 3 years disprove that). But, I’d like him to take a moment to think about what he’s evinced. Jennifer Lawrence, lovely as she may be, is only 22. He needs to get up and prove himself worthy of that J. Law moniker. Get off your ass. (Or just start giving me new reasons to love you.)

5 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

Celebrity shortened nick names are the worst. If i'm shortening their name on Twitter, I just use their initials. Hearing things like K-Stew and ScarJo make me cringe.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

brittani hahahaha. but it does make for easy conversation, no? i'll admit, k-stew in particularly is something unwieldy .

Nick Prigge said...

I second Brittani's emotion 100%. The celebrity shortened nickname is an epidemic. But don't get me started.

Don't you feel like Jude Law has lost some ENERGY in his recent performances? Not so much in Contagion, maybe, but there's just not as much of a spark as there was earlier in his career. I'm not suggesting that he's phoning it in, because I don't think he is, but if often FEELS like he's phoning it in. You know? That guy in the wheelchair in "Gattaca", where did he go?

Paolo said...

I thought Contagion was his best performance since road to Perdition but at the same time that movie's full of small moments anyway, not enough for any or all actors to stretch and be noticed. But yeah, he seems too old school or cool for the moniker

Chip Lary said...

It doesn't even have to be an abbreviation. I forget the film, but it was from the 1970s. An older man and younger woman are in a relationship. She's taking him to meet Gene Simmons (from the rock band Kiss), but he thinks she is referring to Jean Simmons the actress. He's shocked, and it highlights the age difference between them in that two soundalike names mean different things to different generations.