Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Essential Performances of the ‘90s Tournament: Quarter Finals, Showdown 4

This is  the final match-up of the Quarter Finals of the Essential Performances of the 90s Showdown and you can now go vote in all four games if you have not HERE.

The full bracket is HERE and if you’re new to the showdown, background on its genesis is HERE.

I'm looking for the best /finest / most memorable / most essential performance of the decade.

Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights (1997) as Amber Waves
"That is a giant cock."
Playing the adult entertainment superstar Amber Waves, Julianne Moore sees Boogie Nights as "A film about the pursuit of stardom and the notion that it's inherently interesting to be a star no matter what the cost." Moore, who was drawn to the story immediately, adds, "I think people will be interested in the flawed nature of these people and how they're still trying to achieve something. One of the things Paul did so wonderfully was to present this world and allow you to make your own judgments about it."

Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List (1993) as Amon Göth
"I would like so much to reach out to you and touch you in your loneliness. What would it be like, I wonder? What would be wrong with that? I realize that you are not a person in the strictest sense of the word, but, um, maybe you're right about that too. Maybe what's wrong, it's not us, it's this... I mean, when they compare you to vermin, to rodents and to lice. I just, uh, you make a good point. You make a very good point. Is this the face of a rat? Are these the eyes of a rat? "Hath not a Jew eyes?" I feel for you Helen."
Ralph Fiennes put on 13kg by drinking Guinness for his role. Steven Spielberg cast him because of his "evil sexuality".

1 comment:

Amir said...

No complaints, as I've mentioned a gazillion times that Moore's performance is my number one of the decade, but it's unbelievable that Fieness lost. I thought he was Hopkins's number one threat.

I really wonder if as many people will support Moore when she faces Hopkins. I hope they do. A Lambs final is VERY reductive for an entire decade.