Friday, 31 August 2012

Random: There’s Something About Cameron Diaz...



Raise your hand if you know that Cameron Diaz has four Golden Globe nominations, one for each of those performances above.

 I know, I know – you’d probably respond with some variation of the Golden Globe being on the low end of “prestigious” awards since they have separate nominees for lead performers in comedies or musicals. But, only one of Diaz’s four nominations was for Comedy Actress. Further, she’s been the recipient of two individual Screen Actors’ Guild nominations (Being John Malkovich and Vanilla Sky). I begin with this preamble because Cameron Diaz’s name today seems to be inextricably linked with “bad performer” when mentioned in film circles today.

I’d stop short at declaring myself as an especial fan of her work, but I’d also hardly deny being charmed by a number of her performances. She has suffered, somewhat, from the odd thing which happens when an ingénue grows older in real-life but is unable to match that real-life age with a similar growth in her on-screen persona.

Apart from her four roles cited above, Diaz wins significant from me from a fine film debut in The Mask, a searing supporting turn opposite Julia Roberts in fine form in My Best Friend’s Wedding and her ability to use her beauty without vanity (even if the film isn’t helping her that much) as in The Sweetest Thing.

Don't cry, Cameron. Just find a good script...
It’s not enough for an actor to get by on winsomeness, of course. But Cameron Diaz IS winsome and sometimes she’s winsome and excellent. She turned forty yesterday and I wonder what the future has in store for her, or better yet – what she has in store for herself? She’s undoubtedly a performer with little egotism and it would make sense for her to turn to some self-effacing (but smartly so) comedy to launch a new phase in her career. Surely, she's charming and talented enough to have one (more) good performance in her, right?

For now, I’ll celebrate The Holiday as her last above average performance (even if she was a distant third behind Jude and Kate, but alas such is such).

Happy birthday, Cameron.
Get better (or rather, return to form.)
     
Do you think Cameron has a good performance left in her? Do you think she's ever given one? Favourite Cameron moment? Go.

3 comments:

Stephanie Ward said...

I don't know whether she's given a *great* performance, but I think she has a quirky charm. Two roles that stand out for me -- in terms of quirky charm :) -- are Being John Malkovich and There's Something About Mary.

Nick Prigge said...

Cameron does have a certain spunky charm in certain roles but I have to admit I have a serious soft spot for "A Life Less Ordinary." I know that movie's generally hated but I love it and I really dug her as a spoiled brat in that one.

Runs Like A Gay said...

She's got to want to knock it out of the park, and I'm not so sure she still has the hunger to prove herself as an actress.