Monday, 16 July 2012

Have I Got a Link for You...

...wait 'til you meet 'em!

 Remember that blogging is all about participation, so do yourself - and the blogosphere - a favour and head over to these sites and join the conversation. Links for your reading pleasure ahead...

The post I'm highlighting at the top this weeks functions as something of a PSA. Nathaniel (The Film Experience) runs his "Hit Me With Your Best" series on Wednesdays when he invites bloggers to choose their favourite shots in stipulated films. Last Wednesday we took a look at Sam Mendes' Road to Perdition (2002). LINK Go investigate his (and everyone else's) pick for best shot! I have to admit that with my literary roots I often tend to analyse film from a predominantly narrative-based perspective but Nathaniel's series encourages you to assess it from the visual angle. He's not sure the series will continue to a next season, so go convince him otherwise or even participate this Wednesday when we take a look at Pink Narcissus.

A few weeks ago at the best of a friend I watched, and liked, Cameron Crowe's reviled Elizabethtown (2005). The Kid (The Kid in the Front Row) offers up a personal look at what makes the film work, and what prevents it from working. LINK Sure, I disagree with him on some points (specifically, Orlando Bloom) but it's a film that's endured in an unnecessarily poor way. (That friend I saw it for was, of course, Nick of Cinema Romantico who has an ardent and overzealous love for the film, exhibit A, exhibit B, exhibit C).

I saw Elizabethtown in a quest to catch up on some unseen (potential) gems with school now closed, and I've been a bit remiss so I feel a bit jealous of the same (Cinema Romantico) who keeps doling out write-up to classics he's discovering for the first time. This time he looks at a Henry Fonda one I've yet to see, Drums Along the Mohawk LINK I can't lie, Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert sounds fantastic (and, boy, Fonda has been through all the major Hollywood women of the era).

Speaking of films enduring well, Steve Soderbergh's Oscar winning Traffic (2000) is still remembered well. Tim (Antagony and Ecstasy) offers up an excellent analysis of the film which immediately makes me moved to rewatch it. LINK
Traffic is important for so many reasons but as he puts it best in the comment section the Ocean's films aren't possible without Traffic, I think, and that's certainly not a world I want to return to. Amen to that.

Toby (blah blah blah gay) asks us to merge cinema and literature when makes a list of his ten favourite movie bookshops. LINK #9 wins for me, so hard. But, I do love it whenever films take time out to fete books, art depending on art.

Vincenzo (We Talk About Movies) ruminates on the power of words in this tribute to the late Nora Ephron. LINK Death is, of course an inevitable part of life, but the loss of so many significant film folk does make me fill with melancholy. Just yesterday we lost the lovely Celeste Holm. Tears.

An imperfect but enjoyable film I have significant appreciation for is the 2006 romantic comedy Something New, so it's nice to see some ink dedicated to it, here it gets some love from The Flick Chick. LINK (Sanaa Lathan will be appearing in the second season of Boss next month on starz, just so you know.) It's a good film you've probably not seen, the same goes for the different but just as effective (in part) The Whistleblower from last year. Film Intel shines a light on this vastly ignored drama LINK a film which, despite issues, deserves major appreciation for its examination of the human-trafficking theme with significant sensitivity. Also, Rachel Weisz is excellent in it.



My own Scene on a Sunday feature is on hiatus, and I'd already planned that I'd lull it out of temporary retirement with the excellent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Yojimbo (Let's Not Talk About Movies) just happens to take a look at the film in his "Don't Make A Scene". LINK The entire film is one which is so meticulously planned that it really does urge one to take a look at the scene by scene constructions. Also, remember how excellent Oldman was in it? Of course you do.

There are two features happening at the Large Association of Movie Blogs right now, one is the excellent "So You Think You Can Review" series run by Nick Jobe LINK head back every other day to vote for your favourite match-up, and leave comments on what the reviewers should do better. Also, my Lamb Casting feature is taking on Elia Kazan's On the Waterfront, vote for which cast re-imagining thrills you most. LINK Don't be lazy, folks, all it takes is a click.

And, finally, to close on some advice via the funny and sharp Thomas Pluck (Pluck You Too), it's something which affects us all as humans and specifically as writers (whether professional or amateur) - the virtue of patience. How much of it do you have? LINK As he asks, Do you want one marshmallow now or three marshmallows later?
     
So, go do your duty as members of the blogosphere and head over to these fine blogs and read these fine entries. Remember, blogging is nothing without the rapport between bloggers which comes with conversation. (Happy Monday.)

2 comments:

Nick Prigge said...

Why, thank you, my friend! And all THREE links to my Elizabethtown ravings! Yes! We must go forth and spread the word!

Chip Lary said...

Thanks for letting me know that Toby was back posting. I'm not sure when or even if I would have checked back in with his site, if not for your link.