Friday, 29 June 2012

Will someone ever link at me that way?

And now for some links courtesy of the blogosphere...
            
There are two posts I'm recommending with particular enthusiasm this week. The first comes courtesy of Glenn (Stale Popcorn). He saw Barbra Baaaaarba Streisand's one-woman show musical Yentl for the first time a few weeks back and offers a nice write-up on the film and the odd way it seems to have faded from public consciousness but for Barbra obsessives and other acressexuals. link

The second comes from Nick (Cinema Romantico) who finally offered up his thoughts on my favourite 2011 film Certified Copy link and I love his advice on the twist/not-a-twist midway through "Don’t ask HOW, just go along for the ride."

The always wise Tim (Antagony & Ecstasy) is taking a look back at Summer blockbusters of yore and turns to the Oscar winning Braveheart, a film Tim admits to feeling some trepidation at liking. link In the battle of Oscar winning 90s flicks with actors turned directors I prefer this to Dances with Wolves, but it's been some time since I've seen both.

I know that Pixar is a studio that provokes excitement in most and with the release of Brave upon us Ruth (FlixChatter) releases her ten favourite Pixar characters. link Forced to choose, I'd probably settle on Dory, although my Pixar affection is mostly sedate. And, Stevee (Cinematic Paradox) has another Brave inspired list - this one a list of 15 redheads she likes most. link I don't think I need to say which is my favourite.

Over at The Film Experience Craig (dark eye socket) has another entry in his Take Three series honouring character actors, and this week it's about the great John C. Reilly link Reilly is an actor I'm always happy to see get some appreciation, because he is more often than always an asset to the films he appears in.

If you follow theatre news, even incidentally, you may have heard that a revival of David Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross is heading to Broadway with Al Pacino headlining as Shelley Levene (the role played in the film by Jack Lemmon) and Bobby Canavale playing Pacino's role from the film - Roma. Yojimbo (Let's Not Talk About Movies) took at a look from one of the film's scene in his "Don't Make a Scene" feature. link

 Andy (The Film Emporium) chooses his best of (and worse of) the last 6 months in film. link Yes, folks, it's almost the end of June. I'm intrigued by his inclusion of Wuthering Heights on his list of "worst".

And to close with something lovely, Jessica (The Velvet Café) is moved by Jane Campion's beautiful Bright Star even though she is not much of a poetry lover. link Most of you already my love for Bright Star is boundless (as is my love for Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish. Use them, Hollywood, they need better opportunities.)
       
Go perform your civic blogger duties and read these articles.

3 comments:

Andy Buckle said...

Thanks for the link, Andrew. Basically, with Wuthering Heights I got very annoyed and felt very unpleasant and started squirming in my seat from about 5 mins in, and it is a long film. I wanted to leave but thought it might offer something different when Heathcliff was older. I had a lot of issues with it, but of all the SFF films I saw, only one received zero applause at the end...and it was a full session...and that was Wuthering Heights. Horribly received. Yeah, I severely disliked it, but I understand a lot of people have admired Andrea Arnold's attempts to shake things up and she gets a few points for trying, but it didn't remotely interest me.

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for your kind linkage! I was really touched by this film. I didn't know I had all that romance and poetry inside me. It woke something. And that's a pretty amazing for a film to do, isn't it?

Stephanie said...

This is a great feature -- thanks for highlighting all these interesting links. It's also a terrific way to help encourage a sense of community among film bloggers.:)