Thursday, 10 May 2012

The Links that Make Me Dance

Another reminder that at its heart blogging is communal, so do these bloggers (and yourself) a favour and head on over to read their articles. Links ahead.

My favourite post this week comes courtesy of Nick (Cinema Romantico) who writes an excellent piece on They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Never heard of it? (Boo!) Well, They Shoot Horses, Don't They is that gruelling Oscar winning dance marathon that I really want to see again but dont have the courage to rewatch. link (but you should all see it, if you  have not)

I don't know if anyone remembers but before One Hour Photo came out, it was surrounded by a sliver of "Oscar buzz" for Robin Williams. Paolo (Okinawa Assault) takes a look back at the seemingly forgotten film. link
 
Yojimbo (Let's Not Talk About Movies) is taking a look back at Akira Kurosawa's filmography, and opines on The Most Beautiful link

Ben (Runs Like a Gay) finally saw Albert Nobbs and he liked it quite a bit link For a film I don't expressly love, seeing people liking Albert Nobbs makes me oddly happy.

Vincenzo (We Talk About Movies) has another look at a 2011 film, Thomas McCarthy's Win Win, a film I remember most fondly for Amy Ryan's beautiful performance (where were he precursor nods, mortals) link

This one is a two weeks old, but I had to link to Ryan (The Matinee) and his thoughts on Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, a film I promise to revisit before the year's end. link

Apparently I've been implicitly forcing Anna (Defiant Sucess) to watch British period pieces which she does not love. Alas, my bad. She did love Howards End, but it's an excellent film and easily Merchant Ivory's best. link Who wouldn't love it? Who couldn't love it?

I have not seen The Lucky One, and I might not ever but Craig (dark eye socket) still manages to make me love this review I read. Considering the film, I ignore my general inclination to not read reviews of films I haven't seen, and it's still a great read. link with the great line "Blythe Danner (as Schilling’s grandmother) does a lot of exasperated hair acting." And, I know exactly what he means - although I do love Blythe. Craig also writes a lovely send-up of Piper Laurie. link I tend to remember foremost from Children of a Lesser God (yes, I just love to be different *shrugs*), which is not her finest work. But, she's generally great - so that'd be weird if it was.

Yesterday Nathaniel (The Film Experience) hosted his Hit Me With the Best  Shot series making us choose our favourite shot in The Exorcist link, I particularly love what Jose (Movies Kick Ass) had to say, finding an interesting perspective on the "horror" of the film. link
      
Finally, we're recasting Woody Allen's Interiors over at the LAMB and yes, yes, you haven't seen it (and if so, why the hell not? Tis beautiful) but even if you haven't I've made things a bit easier by directing you to the character traits. It's such a predominantly female cast I want to see your choices. You've got until Saturday to send me your emails, kindly. link

Most importantly, folks, go read. Sure there is an "I" in blogging, but there's no "a" - so don't be an asshole. GO READ. Please and thank you.
    
As you were (but only if you've read.)

8 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

Lots of people seem to be enjoying the MR. SMITH post. Wild - I thought I mailed that one in.

Many thanks for the linkage good sir!

MovieNut14 said...

Darling, there's a difference between forcing someone to do something and someone doing it because they want to. Apparently you didn't see the distinction.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Paolo said...

Thanks for the link, it means a lot. I'm kind of feeling like Robin Williams right now to be honest and this lifts my spirits by a bit. :)

Craig Bloomfield said...

Thanks for the kind mention/link, Andrew. And for bringing to my attention more great links here. And, of course, the Danner comment was meant with the utmost affection.

Nick Prigge said...

Thank you, my friend! Glad you enjoyed it and I'm so, so glad I got around to seeing it. A marvelous film.

Vinny said...

Thanks for linking. Loved your choice for The Exorcist.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

everyone thanks for commenting (shrugs) and thanks for saying thanks but i have the bigger thanks cause i'm thanking you for writing.

anna implicit forcing...and, i'm only guessing that from the tone of your reviews is all.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Thanks for the link.

Ben x