Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Randomness: The Hours’ Score

I’ve been going on something of a score binge recently. And I keep returning to what I’ve come to decide is the best film score of the last decade Philip Glass’ phenomenal work on The Hours. Like every vaguely unhinged film fan I get those random moments where I tend to imagine I’m living in a movie and whilst heading up to University earlier in the week I put on the first number from the score and was hit with this wave of melancholy which was, maybe a quarter, of me channelling my inner Virginia Woolf and 75% feeling the excellence of this score.

On some level I think I’m built to be averse to scores and instrumental pieces because I’m so likely to be caught up in words. (Generally, this doesn’t apply to classical composers.) But, as I said, I’ve been going on a score binge recently. For, one I find scores a productive tool when you’re doing writing. With songs you tend to get distracted by the words, not so much when it’s just the music. And, true, I’ve said before that the score for The Hours is music to die by (truth) Glass is firmly in touch with the melancholy as well as the urge for creation at the film’s roots.

As the title of the first number goes – “The Poet Acts”.


Can you relate to my love for Glass’ work here? Do you find listening to scores inspirational?

5 comments:

Nikhat said...

I absolutely worship this score. This was the first instance of when the score affected me almost as much as the film. I love the film to bits too.

Alex in Movieland said...

"And I keep returning to what I’ve come to decide is the best film score of the last decade Philip Glass’ phenomenal work on The Hours." - agreed. :)

for the past years, Escape! has been the one I've listed to most often.

Ryan McNeil said...

I've been on a score bender for about two years now, with no end in sight. Some recent ones have really caught my attention - ones like BLACK SWAN, THE SOCIAL NETWORK, THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES, and so on.

I've actually found they really put me in the right head space to write!

As for the score in question, it's interesting that you took such a shining to it after the film.

When I saw the movie in theatres, I remember being none too fussed about the score. It seemed so overbearing, and heightening the melodrama of the whole film. But a few weeks later, I was working and someone in the office was listening to something pretty. I asked what they were listening to and was surprised when they said "Phillip Glass' HOURS soundtrack".

Long story short, separated from the film, I took to the music so much more.

Funny the way that happens, ain't it?

Squasher88 said...

Great score, but I can't take too much of it. That music and that movie puts you in such a dark place.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

nikhat so true. there are so many great scores (desplat, marianelli, shore) but this score is so irrevocably linked with its film. it's more rare than one would imagine.

alex it's weird, though, i never listen to individual tracks from this. once i begin "the poet acts" i must listen to the entire score, and in the correct order.

ryan "I've actually found they really put me in the right head space to write!" they really do. i can't quite explain it, but they get the creative juices flowing. i can understand your feelings because glass' score is rather obtrusive (especially considering how non-obtrusive the other technical elements are), but repeat listens open up so many intricacies both removed from the film and with it.

shane "That music and that movie puts you in such a dark place." but that dark place is so beautiful, isn't it?