Thursday, 26 April 2012

“Nurse….would you kiss me?”

Like so many parts of The English Patient there are some random lines which stick with me for no other reason than my overwhelming love for Minghella’s Oscar winning flick. And, for all the sadness at the root of the film it does have those random funny bits (case in point: “It’s a very plum plum.” So, it’s been a terribly long time since I’ve done a top 5 list. Here goes, Nurse Appreciation, but then again – not really. Nurses take care of the injured, and it’s easy to confuse the care the nurse shows for actual love – hence, nurses sometimes come out looking like perfect examples of romantic partners. For example…


(I typed this up on a headrush – potentially silliness ahead.)

Brenda Strong in Catch Me If You Can 
Claim to Fame: Brought braces back, y’all 

Seriously, do I need say more? The more I think of it, the more I realise that – raised eyebrows be damned – Catch Me If You Can is one of the, maybe four, Spielberg films that I actually love and it’s arguably one of his best cast ones, too. This was before Adams became a three time Oscar nominee (and counting) but it’s filled with all the adorable Amy Adamsisms that we’ve come to know and love. Also, she makes conmen fall in love and long for reformation.

Allie in The Notebook 
 Claim to Fame: Magically making James Marsden all better 

Remember James Marsden in The Notebook? Possibly no, possibly yes – like the typical romantic drama the romantic foil (whether evil or docile) is not often remembered but Marsden’s Lon is the war veteran Allie almost marries during the film’s middle. I was on the fence of including her. For one, I’m not much fond of McAdams as a performer, she’s not a real nurse (but that doesn’t mean much – see below). She heals the sick, even if she doesn’t marry them.

Lara in Doctor Zhivago 

Claim to Fame: Steely glares at Evil People (You shall understand if you've seen it.)

Well, the film is long so I can understand if you forgot that Lara moonlit as a Nurse. But she did, and she was excellent because there is nothing that Julie Christie is not excellent at (Warren Beatty slept with her people, and he doesn’t do that with just anybody). Curiously, a great deal of Lara’s Nurse tenure was spent doing ironing, but I suppose clean linen is important for the Nurse trade and whatnot.

Briony Tallis in Atonement 
 Claim to French: School French 

I feel as if I might have spoken about this ad nauseum – but I shall say it again. I fell in love with Romola Garai when she started speaking in French to that soldier in that devastating scene in Atonement. Sure, in a way, it makes me hate Briony just a little bit because she’s so adamant that she only knows school French when she so obviously more than an average hang on it, and further Briony is still the de facto villainess of the piece. Sort of. But, French absolves that, and she's so beautifully kind to that dying soldier.

Hana in The English Patient 
 Claim to Fame: Piano playing (Infectious laughter, quotable quotes) 

 And, the only who started it all. Binoche is just an absolute delight in The English Patient, I’d admitted as much before. She truly is a terrific Nurse and even though she never forms a specifically romantic bond with the Patient the two do reach a beautiful understanding. And sure, it ends in euthanasia for him – but we can’t have everything. She’s a great nurse, people, not god.

 Any movie nurses worthy of your affection? Sound off below.

7 comments:

Ryan T. said...

Any male nurses in movies? The only thing I can think of (without doing any actual research) is Lenny Kravitz's character in Precious. He was pretty.

Squasher88 said...

How about Nurse Ratched? Haha, I'm kidding. I can't think of any other memorable nurses than the ones you mentioned.

Chip Lary said...

Actually, I was going to mention Nurse Ratched as one that I absolutely hate.

I'm not sure if they were nurses or assistants, but the women in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly made reciting the alphabet something that was pleasant to watch.

Nick Prigge said...

So funny reading this today. I just had yet another argument with someone last night about "Atonement" because they dismissed Briony as a bitch (so to speak).

And she is, yes, in a way, to a degree, but that scene you mention with the French soldier is my favorite scene in the movie because THAT'S the scene that gets her to wake up and realize what she's done and seek, ahem, atonement.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

ryan and he wasn't exactly pivotal. gaylord focker from meet the parents came to mind, but i can't endorse that.

shane and i'm sure i'm forgetting some, but no other significant come to mind either.

chip ah, nice one. that is such a lovely film, and one i have not watched since 07.

nicholas always, ALWAYS, continue to have pro-atonement arguments. i am, of course, just being facetious when i call her the de facto villain, because if you come out of the film thinking briony is a bitch - you sort of missed the movie's thrust.

Runs Like A Gay said...

More silliness, please.

Love posts with silliness in them.

I's like to give an honourable mention to all the ladies working tirelessly for the wounded soldiers in MASH, maybe not falling in love, but a few hours of passion is something, isn't it?

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

ben you're so kind. this is something of a send-up to those nurses, indeed.