Sunday, 15 January 2012

Incoherent Oscar: Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography and Editing

Well, Oscar voting for nominations are done but that sure as hell doesn’t mean that Oscar predictions for the Oscars are done. I was doubtful of predicting the editing category before the editing guild revealed their nominations, but I suppose you could consider these my predictions for the Oscars and the ACE.
             
I explained last year, and if you search you’d find explanations, but I always consider it my duty to explain the difference between the two sound categories. The sound mixing is more than not the place where prestige pictures or Best Picture nominees show up and it looks at the entire soundwork of a film, the blend between dialogue, music, special sound effects – the entire gamut. Sound effects is more specific to sounds created for the film, those special sound effects added to enhance moments, from simple things like tires squealing to bombs blowing up or a bridge being destroyed or a lurid scream…you get the point right?
                 
SOUND EEFFECTS

MY GUESS: The Adventures of Tintin; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows II; Rango; Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Transformers: Dark of the Moon

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: Hugo; Mission Impossible; The Tree of Life; Super 8

MORE POSSIBILITIES: War Horse; Captain America; Cars 2; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo;

It’s here that I’d expect the two animated films to turn up, although it’s more than likely than any of the films above could have a shot at turning up. What are they really looking for? The most sound effects? The most unusual? I’d assume that Harry Potter and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are two assured of some love here and more than likely Transformers which has been nominated and which saw more positive reviews for this instalment than the last. Even if the year in animation has been suspect, Rango depends so much on those added sounds I’d expect it to turn up here and I’d assume the same for The Adventures of Tintin.

What to make of Cars 2 being so low down in the predictions? They usually love Pixar here, but isn’t everyone trying to forget that movie? And, although I could see Hugo making a play here or Mission Impossible in that order, but I’m not confident about it, and The Tree of Life is such a head scratcher. I’d nominate it, but that really means naught in the grander scheme of things. Will it get love in the technical department? Perhaps, but I don’t suspect it’d be here.


SOUND MIXING

MY GUESS: The Adventures of Tintin; The Artist; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows II; Hugo; Transformers: Dark of the Moon

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: War Horse; The Tree of Life; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; Rango

MORE POSSIBILITIES: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol; Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Super 8; Captain America: The First Avenger

Considering that The Artist poses as a silent film and makes ample use (I assume) of its score, and then the fact that it’s headed to at the very least a nomination for Best Picture I presume it’s a safe bet for a nomination here and if it’s being joined by any other Picture contender I’m almost certain that it shall be Hugo, which depends exponentially in some key moments on the blend of sounds. Is it too much expecting The Adventures of Tintin, Transformers and Harry Potter to cross over? Last year in particular there wasn’t as much similarities in the sound categories as usual, I’d say of the three Harry Potter is the most likely to show up and Tintin is the least likely…but what replaces it? The Tree of Life? Rango?

The seven contenders outside my five are all legitimate contenders, and perhaps I have Rise of the Planet of the Apes too low but then everything in the second tier seem like they could be legitimately sound choices and then when I consider that The Social Network turned up here last year Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is at least in the running, especially since it’s work is more “obvious” – if you will.

CINEMATOGRAPHY

MY GUESS: The Artist; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows II; Hugo; The Tree of Life; War Horse

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; Drive

MORE POSSIBILITIES: Melancholia; Moneyball; Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

It might be folly on my part holding on stolidly to my prediction of Harry Potter here, but as I have said before the AMPAS has recognised its photography and considering the mass of goodwill people seem to feel towards it (and the fact that it will NOT earn love in the Best Picture race) it might be heralded with some technical mentions and I’d think here could be a place where they decide to throw it a nomination. It is the choice I’m least certain of, and the three films in the second tier all seem like credible choices.

And, despite a lack of love from the guilds I think War Horse is relatively safe in being assured of a nod, I’d actually say it’s more assured of a nod than The Tree of Life, but then …who knows? I think we can agree that Hugo and The Artist are at least assured of nominations…the only question really is if Richardson is any threat to winning, or if it’ll simply be a nomination.

EDITING

MY GUESS: The Artist; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; Hugo; Moneyball; War Horse

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: Drive; The Ides of March; Rise of the Planet of the Apes

MORE POSSIBILITIES: The Descendants; Tailor, Tinker, Soldier, Spy; The Tree of Life; Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Conceivably, Drive could be a nomination here in the vein of The Bourne Supremacy but I feel so iffy about the film and the Oscars. It’s not quite a populist action film, neither is it completely art-house and other than Albert Brooks I’m not sure how the Academy will respond to it, and if they feel the need for an “action” film, maybe Rise of the Planet of the Apes could be what they go for, but I’m also doubtful of THAT one being heralded with nominations. And, it is perhaps additionally bizarre of me to have War Horse in my top 5 but the editing category seems destined to be a troubling one.

For example I wouldn’t be shocked if The Artist doesn’t turn up here, despite the general correlation between picture/director and editing but then it seems unlikely because there are no obvious contenders waiting to unseat it. I’d assume that Thelma is in for Hugo but what of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Moneyball? I’d say the latter has less of a chance than the former, particularly because the latter’s work isn’t as obvious and moreover because despite Moneyball having its ardent supporters, the passion for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo seems at its peak at the moment. And, then, The Descendants I do think it could be a threat for the statue, and they recently sent out screeners of their films paying focus on its editing, so they’re campaigning but is it too late? And if I think it could win Picture, why am I not predicting it here? As I said, this category seems destined for excitement, we’ll see.

Who gets in for sound? Is War Horse a threat for editing? Is Drive a threat for anything? Does Harry Potter factor in? what do you think?

No comments: