Monday, 12 December 2011

Incoherent Oscar: Visual Effects, Cinematography and Editing

Rambling predictive Oscar discussions...
    
If you’ve heard it once, then you’ve heard it a dozen times and probably a thousand – film is a visual medium. So, ahoy, the predictions of those visual technical categories…some of which often offer insight into the top prizes of the ceremony.
          
VISUAL EFFECTS

MY GUESS: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2; Hugo; Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Super 8; Transformers

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: The Tree of Life; Captain America: The First Avenger; Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides; X-Men: First Class; Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

MORE POSSIBLITIES: Thor; Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol; Cowboys and Aliens; Sucker Punch; Real Steel

Everything would be so much easier if every category sent out a shortlist of the potential nominees. But, as it is, only the visual category does so and what we have are fifteen potential nominees and some seem much more assured of a nod than others. Next month they shall narrow it down further to ten, and we’ll see who made that list. For now, I’m moderately confident in the quintet I’ve lined up. This is despite me having an inkling that The Tree of Life could very well end up with a much deserved nomination here. Of the five, I’d say four of the five see particularly assured of a nomination and Transformers could, perhaps, be a bit in danger. It’s not the most critically acclaimed film of the year and with so many options to choose from – a number of which seem right up the Oscars’ alley, there’s always the possibility that it gets shafted. The thing about them, though, is that they love their visuals loud and raucous (which is why the, sob, snubbed Scott Pilgrim vs the World last year. Sigh). Therefore, I’ll stick with the five that I have, for now.
           
CINEMATOGRAPHY
MY GUESS: The Artist; Hugo; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2; The Tree of Life; War Horse

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; A Dangerous Method; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

MORE POSSIBILITIES: Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Moneyball; Anonymous
This is, unofficially, my favourite category. Photography is such an important part of cinema and call me schmaltzy but don’t you just love beautifully shot films? Now, I know, considering all the films which seem right up the Oscars’ alley it’s weird that I have Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in my top 5. And, it’s not that I think it’s headed to a Best Picture nod. But, remember when the sixth instalment got a nod for its photography and it was nowhere near the best loved entry of the eight (although it was MY second favourite). I’m sticking with it for now, there is usually that one sweet oddity in this category and they could do much worse than fêting the admittedly good work of the Potter films. Everything else seems sort of a lock, which makes me think that it probably isn’t but I cannot fathom a discussion on photography without taking note of either of the four remaining films. The only film I see taking it to the five, is if Girl with the Dragon Tattoo surprises Harry Potter and knocks it out. And, it could very well happen. I'm dubious about predicting Hugo, but I just feel silly betting against it...
          
FILM EDITING

MY GUESS: The Artist; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; Hugo; Moneyball; War Horse

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close; Rise of the Planet of the Apes; The Descendants; Drive

MORE POSSIBILITIES: A Dangerous Method;

Now, editing is a category which sort of annoys me because it oftentimes unnecessarily seems to be nothing but regurgitation of the main players for Best Picture which significantly robs it of its name. A best picture contender does not necessarily mean that it has fine editing, but I digress. This is predictive writing, not opinion writing. This is, I think, a solid five. They seem headed to at least Best Picture consideration and clearly it’s possible that Extremely Loud for example or The Descendants (both potential spoilers in the Picture race) could enter the argument, but I’m not as certain of those as I am of the five I have. The thing is, sometimes they get interesting and nominate or even a leftfield choice a la The Bourne Ultimatum, but we don’t really know, do we? I’m just doing my guessing game. Which is why War Horse is my winner, I don't think Hugo will sleep...I'm not even sure I think it will win Best Picture so I don't WANT to predict it winning here, and even if it wins Best Picture I don't think The Artist will win here which leaves Spielberg... hence the prediction.

Coming Soon: Best Director and Picture / Previously: Best Supporting Actress

So, who gets the visual award wins? Will editing be a boring rehash of Best Picture? What do you think?

1 comment:

Squasher88 said...

No way Hugo is winning Visual Effects. It's Planet of the Apes in a walk. That acceptance speech has already been written!