Friday, 9 December 2011

Incoherent Oscar: Sound

Ramblings on who Oscar will nominate, and why...granted these reasons might be wrong, but ahoy - Oscar Predictions
               
Aaaah, sound. It’s probably the least glamorous of the Oscar categories. I’d wager that perhaps there are those who can name costume designers, set designers, film editors but I feel that the sound designers are the ones most often forgotten. Of course, that just increases the irony that sound is the most significant things about cinema today. But, I digress. On with the predictions. Or something like that…
             
SOUND EDITING
MY GUESS: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2; Hugo; Super 8; Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon; War Horse

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: Rango; The Adventures of Tintin; The Tree of Life

MORE POSSIBILITIES: Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Cars 2, Happy Feet 2, Captain America: The First Avenger; Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides; Drive

The thing with the sound awards being so below the belt means that you’re more than likely to end up with nominees that aren’t Best Picture hopefuls. Of course, that all changes when they do something surprising like nominate something like The King’s Speech for a sound award, so really I’m back at square one in trying to suss them out. Of course, though, this doesn’t bother me because do enjoy the blind guesswork inherent in the predictions. Now, it’s not the NBR win specifically that has me choosing Hugo here, and for another number of awards but I wouldn’t bet it on War Horse or Super 8 which I think could both emerge as significant threats to the win. In theory, at the very least. Now, I don’t anticipate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to be a major threat for any top awards but I presume that it could very well end up being a significant threat for some technical recognition and why not have it pop up for some recognition? Of course, what do I know, right? And, I’m holding on to Transformers because the prequels have been nominated before. Sometimes an animated film pops up, until it doesn’t and Rango and The Adventures of Tintin seem like the best bets for spoilers.


SOUND MIXING
MY GUESS: Drive; Hugo; Rango; The Tree of Life; War Horse

THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS: Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon; Super 8; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; The Adventures of Tintin

MORE POSSIBLITIES: Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2

Sound mixing is much more receptive to those upper echelon films because it’s not about the special sound effects, but about the general mixing of dialogue and score and everything sound wise and I sort of think that The Tree of Life should at least be in contention. There’s always the slip over of nominees for sound mixing and editing so I anticipate that Hugo and War Horse will be the ones which endure. Why do I have Drive here? Honestly, I can’t tell. It’s not as if I think AMPAS will go crazy for it…and still, I think it’s one of those outlandish but deserved choices (think Salt) that would surprise us all. Of course, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo could still be a spoiler here. But then, it could be a spoiler in any category. Who the hell knows at this moment. Right?
                 
Coming Soon: Supporting Actress / Previously: Best Supporting Actress
            
What do you think the AMPAS are hearing? Who gets in for sound?

1 comment:

Nick Prigge said...

I have to say, I really like that you discuss award nominations for the Sound categories. I'm fairly certain you're the only one in the blogosphere who does.