Tuesday, 20 December 2011

All I Need is the Link

Okay, so this is a review of a film I already reviewed, but Beginners is such a sweet gem I can't think of anything wrong with linking to reviews of it over and over again. Take a look at Nick's (Cinema Romantico) review which touches on the film's importance on a humane level. And, that's why it's my favourite post of the week...and I may as well link to Aiden's (Cut the Crap Movie Reviews) positive words on it too. Beginners for the win. Obviously.
 

Onwards with more links...
    
I'm nowhere near ready to start recapping the year in film yet (need to churn out like twelve reviews, still have to see some big ones) but already people are starting. Craig (dark eye socket) takes a look at the year's biggest cinematic surprises. I've not seen How Do You Know (though I recall Nick, above loathed it) so I can't say yay or nay on its inclusion, but Henry's Crime is a flawed, but lovely one. And Vera Farmiga is excellent in it.

I think Lisa Kudrow should have at least gotten some precursor love for Analyse This, and Paolo (Brown Okinawa Assault Incident) takes a look back, he unfortunately doesn't focus too much on Lisa. But, then, the film has its other merits.

Most of you probably know that I don't watch movie trailers, which means that I shan't be watching The Dark Knight Rises trailer (not that I'd care to, really). More importantly, I shall not be watching the trailer for The Hobbit, though I'm very excited that it's being made...Ryan (Sorta That Guy) certainly will, though.

We Need to Talk About Kevin has been reviewed pour moi, but the film still sits uncomfortably with me - for better and for worse. Dan (Dan the Man Movie Reviews) is particularly positive about it.

Will Hanna turn up on your year-end list? It might turn up somewhere on my mind. Maybe it shall, we shall see. Meanwhile, Andrew - not me - (Andrew at the Cinema) offers up a positive look at it. I'm so anxious for Wright's Anna Karenina.

One film that will turn up on my year end list is the astonishingly good Certified Copy which Robert Hamer (The Awards' Circuit) made a year-end plea for last week. It shall not win any love from awards it seems but it's a beauty.

I do not adore Mad Men like so many of you do and I doubt that any drama shall top the phenomenal second season of Boardwalk Empire (though I'm open for shocks). Still, Marcy (The Critical Escapist) touches on one reason I'm anxious for the next season of Mad Men to return. It's about time someone, other than me, shine a light on Vincent Kartheiser who should really have been Emmy nominated over John Slattery for his work on the show.
Poor Pete is tired of getting no love...
Michael Atkinson, a celebrated critic, released his top ten films (I've seen a single one) and the list looks like a fine, smart list and then he proceeded to disparage a number of picks not on his list, and it only raises an issue that always rears its head at this time. When X film starts getting love, or hate those in opposition get indignant. That's a post in the making.... On that note, even though he does sort of inadvertently criticise the other films of 2011 I appreciate this plea Tom (Reinvention: The Journal of a Dog-Lover, Book-Reader, Movie-goer and Writer) gives for The Tree of Life.
       
Any great links you're willing to share? What have you been reading?

6 comments:

Ryan T. said...

Thanks for linking! Kind of surprised they didn't release THE HOBBIT trailer yesterday with the anniversary and all. But I guess it was already a full day of trailers (Dark Knight, etc.).

And YES to Vincent Katheiser. Peggy is my favorite character, but as much as the show loves to parallel her storylines with Don, it does the same with her and Pete. The show being their stories are right on.

Nick Prigge said...

Thank you for the link and for the kind words. I'm so thrilled this movie seems so beloved by most out here in our community.

And that post you mention there at the end that's in the making. I'd like very much to read that post.

TomS said...

Thank you for your reading and responding to my post!

The Globe's snub of Tree of Life hit me in a personal way...I realized that it probably is my favorite this year. My piece was a way of accepting the omission. I honestly feel that the film exists on a different plane, and that it doesn't need award recognition to prove its brilliance. Still, I yearn to hear its name called in victory....

Except for the two I singled out as disliking, I thoroughly enjoyed, even loved, all of the other films I listed. I meant not to be critical of them...only to elevate my beloved, neglected sould-mate of a film....

Paolo said...

Sorry for not mentioning Lisa Kurdow. Crystal and de Niro just stood out more for me. But don't worry, if I ever write about The Opposite of Sex or Friends or anything else at all, I'll praise her work.

And thanks for the link. :)

Dan O. said...

Hey hey hey man! Thanks for the tag and nice post. Appreciate it.

Rich said...

You don't watch trailers at all? Not even when you go to the theaters?