Thursday, 20 October 2011

"They call him Strider"

I was discussing Viggo Mortensen with someone recently and how he's managed to dole out some fantastic performances in the last decade or so even though he's been acting since the eighties. I mentioned that his role as Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings trilogy was the first of many, and they sort of scoffed as if to imply that his work there was nothing to shout about. Now, I'm a devotee of the trilogy, even if I'm not so insane to forget that there are those who don't love it.

Viggo is arguably one of the finest actors of his age right now (he was particularly phenomenal in History of Violence, for example) but I'd intimate that he was fantastic in The Lord of the Rings too. I'd have given him an Oscar nomination for the second film. But, then, I've always been known for oddities.
       
Happy birthday, Viggo. Do you think his work in the trilogy is worthy of the actor he's become?

9 comments:

Red said...

What he did with that role, especially considering that he didn't receive months of training like the other actors in the film, was simply amazing.

The role of Strider/Aragorn was one of the hardest roles from the trilogy to nail, and part of the reason why the books were deemed unfilmable (something that seems to evade most people when the quality of the overall series is brought up).

The AZ Cinema Experiment said...

I never really liked the lotr films. They just didn't keep my interest. I know that may cause some debate but this may have been due to overexposure. EVERYONE telling me how great they were etc. At any rate Viggo is fantastic in general, one of my favorite all time films is Eastern Promises. If you haven't seen him in that you are really missing out!

Castor said...

Viggo is fantastic in just about every role he's taken, from GI Jane to Crimson Tide or A History of Violence.

Mette said...

I'm a sucker for Lord of the Rings, ever since I first saw the films... As for Viggo, well, I didn't go crazy about his looks and everything like all the other female creatures out there, but definitely liked his performance. However, the only other film I've seen him in is the comedy "28 Days", in which he was good, but well, it wasn't the most profound character.

Colin Biggs said...

I'm a bigger fan of his works with Cronenberg.

anahita said...

I think performances in fantasy films can often be overshadowed by the special effects or the bizarre story - I personally thought he was brilliant in lotr :)

Alex in Movieland said...

he certainly deserved to be nominated for The Road, in my opinion...

CrazyCris said...

He was absolutely fantastic in LOTR, and I thought he deserved some more awards kudos. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a single performance of his, but Aragorn is still my favourite! :o)

Runs Like A Gay said...

Thing is this performance came out of nowhere. Prior to LOTR he'd made a few films and was known as a solid supporting actor - the ugly suitor in Portrait of a Lady, the shocking Psycho remake - what on Earth gave Jackson the idea to cast him. Then he delivers the most comfortable, realistic performance in the trilogy.