Saturday, 10 September 2011

To Colin Firth on his birthday...

The fact is worth a curious little now, but I found Colin Firth’s rise to stardom, specifically within the last two years, quite strange. The 2009 Oscars’ still remain as one of my least favourite of the last decade, but of the nominated field Firth was easily my favourite – as he was in 2010. Still, the general movement from vaguely appreciated actor to one of the craft’s finest is puzzling. Firth turns up in good films, and even with two fine performances in the last two years I really don’t think of him as one the best.

Before A Single Man, I remembered Firth for being the romantic foil in not one, but two of my favourite films. That alone isn’t really notable, but it elicits more than a mere hmmm from me when I consider that both The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love are Miramax masterpieces starring a Fiennes’ brother that went on to win a Best Picture title. It would be Weinstein, under his own company, that a little over a decade later that would give him his back to back Oscar nods, and a win, and round out the trimester by starring in yet another Best Picture winner. Those first two performances are what I always turn to as knee-jerk reactions to his name. They're not the most memorable entries in his oeuvre, but they are his finest films. The King’s Speech is obviously the weakest of the trio, and I do feel the slightest bit indignant that Ralph Fiennes remains Oscar-less while Firth has drifted into something of a golden boy. But, alas, that’s for another time.
     
On his birthday I wouldn’t be against Firth turning to Weinstein yet again. I may not consider him to be a fantastic actor, but he delivers when necessary. I’m curious to see him opposite Oldman in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. First impressions are always hard to shake off, he's always be villainous Geoffrey to me, flying his plane recklessly and killing Katherine Clifton. The bastard.

3 comments:

MovieNut14 said...

Earlier today I re-watch A Single Man. Still holds up to my beliefs that Firth should have won that year.

Jose said...

I couldn't help but roll my eyes every single time someone said he was "overdue" this year. He's consistent but has never impressed me.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

anna of the nominated five, he's my favourite too.

jose i, too, never got that. one deserving nomination does not a due actor make.