Friday, 19 August 2011

Two Directors go Fourth


I keep on thinking I should jump in with the Oscar discussions that are beginning to grow but I sort of don’t want to. Mostly because I haven’t seen any of the released films with potential buzz (, Tree of Life, and two because 2011 is sort of boring me; I’m digressing though. I recently came across two photos for two upcoming releases Reitman’s Young Adult and Daldry’s Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Daldry’s is an adaptation of 2005 novel about a 10 year old who loses his father in the 9/11 bombings and journeys across New York in search of a totem his father left him. Young Adult is an original one about a writer of teen literature who heads back to her hometown to win her old boyfriend. The first sounds incredibly sentimental, the latter sounds a bit convoluted but they’re both flirting with Oscar potentialities, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
                
I didn’t even realise at first that for both Daldry and Reiteman this is their fourth release. Between the two, the men’s films 6 films have racked up an Oscar tally of 27 nominations. Daldry has been particularly lucky in that each of his features netted him an Oscar nod for Best Director, Reitman has had to make good with two – incidentally, my favourite feature of his is Thank You For Smoking which netted nary an Oscar nod.
                
Truthfully, I’m doubtful about both directors’ chances. Sure, Young Adult has Oscar winning Juno Diablo Cody and Oscar winning actress Charlize Theron, but I’m supremely doubtful as to how it will play out with the Academy. And even though Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has that strong dramatic mainstay can Daldry be lucky enough to have four consecutive Oscar nods? Granted, I think he deserved every one of those nominations. Daldry’s one-two-three punch of Billy Elliot, The Hours, The Reader easily trumps Reitman’s Thank You For Smoking, Juno, Up in the Air. But, really, it’s sight unseen at the moment. There’s no telling how either of the films will screen, and what Oscar will think.
          
Which of these directors fourth features are you looking forward to?

5 comments:

ruth said...

I didn't know that those two movies are the fourth films of Daldry and Reitman, nice trivia Andrew. Well I think both stories are intriguing, but I'd give 'Young Adult' the edge as it was filmed in my neck of the woods. I could even see the MN plate on the bigger photo of Charlize. Plus, I generally like Charlize as an actor.

Robert said...

I, like you, am not terribly confident in either of these movies either, to be honest. Though I loved "Juno" what I know so far of "Young Adult" is not too exciting, and I fear Daldry may go too over the top with the melodrama in "Extremely Loud" (though I am kind of anxious to see how Sandra does with a director who is SO good with actors).

Alex in Movieland said...

I have unusual faith in Young Adult. strange.

and zero in Extremely Close...

we'll see. it could be another Elizabethtown [not that I've seen that, I mean in failed Oscar potential]

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

ruth charlize bewilders me. sometimes she's so good, and other times she seems so bored as an actor. i hope she's good, but then i hope she isn't because i don't like reitman (hee.)

robert i think daldry has enough good sense to not be overwrought, but the story seems to depend on that. and, i sort of DON'T want it to be good to validate sandra's oscar, and i don't really like hanks BUT i love daldry and i'd love he gets a fourth nomination.

alex i know elizabethtown was a bit of a flop, but i don't even remember it getting oscar buzz. i wish orlando bloom could get a comemback. though :(

Alex in Movieland said...

It was the Cameron Crowe film that followed Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous and Vanilla Sky. it must've.