Tuesday, 2 August 2011

To Myrna...

My mother's name is Myrna, but before my romance I always thought it was one of those "made-up" names like Cher, or Beyonce...or...you get my drift, right? Consequently, I feel sort of bad because I have squalid knowledge of Myrna Loy's filmography - her birthday is today. I saw one of the Thin Man movies, but that was probably over a decade ago and I can't even remember which it was (there are so many) and I saw her in The Best Years of Our Lives, but I might has well have gone to Lacuna after I saw that one because all I remember is finding Teresa Wright vaguely annoying in it.
She's just another classic star that makes up my collective cinematic blindspot. She seems fun, though. Any Myrna fans out there? Any films of her are required viewing?

4 comments:

TomS said...

A great one, a longtime companion of my Late Show nights...
Well, I was going to mention "Best Years". To me, essential viewing on many fronts. Myrna Loy communicated a whole dilaog with simply a glance; just watch her look at Frederick March just before she consoles her lovesick daughter (Wright).
Nice post...I do hope you will revisit TBYOOL again...

Yojimbo_5 said...

Huge Loy fan. But, I'm also a big Teresa Wright fan, too.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

tom i plan to revisit it before the year ends.

yojimbo i haven't seen teresa in much to pass judgement, but i just remember her annoying me here. granted, it's been a while so you never know. and other than john wayne, i value your taste in actors. haha.

Runs Like A Gay said...

You have to watch Mr. Blandings Builds his dream house.

Sure the role of the supportive wife to Cary Grant is no stretch but she utterly nails it, and is delightfully caustic too.