Friday, 5 August 2011

Randomness: Bollywood

I revealed in a meme some time ago (remember when memes where unavoidable?) that I used to be a major fan of Bollywood cinema which isn’t quite an embarrassing fact, but one I still wince at saying because by major fan I mean keenly obsessive. That’s passed, though, but today is the birthday of Kajol who was actually the star of the first Bollywood film I ever saw - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. All Bollywood films have this tendency – regardless of ostensible genre – of being a romance at the heart. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is about this high school lothario with a tomboy best friend who realises she’s in love with him when he falls for a new girl at school. Then, there’s a ten year time jump where the tomboy gets dolled up (which means growing her hair) and so on and so on. It’s running time is well over three hours (as is wont for most Bollywood films, with all those nonsequiter musical numbers and what not). Still, I haven’t lost my appreciation for this one.
For all its emotional manipulation, and gamut running time it's a legitimately good movie - it's funny, sad, romantic, and the music is actually good. (And Kajol is lovely.)
        
Anyone ever seen it? Any Bollywood fans?

2 comments:

CS said...

I quite enjoyed Kuch Kuch Hota Hai as well. I always thought Shah Rukh Khan was a little too old to play a high school student thoough. I guess they were just following the 90210 model of hiring older actors. LOL

Also no shame in liking Bollywood films. Besides being a huge industry in its own right, there are a lot of really good Bollywood films out there.

Runs Like A Gay said...

I really want to want to see a Bollywood movie, but there's usually something American or European that interests me more.

Must break through this mental block sometime.