Wednesday, 17 August 2011

"One of the things about acting is it allows you to live other people's lives without having to pay the price. "

I don’t particularly love Robert De Niro. I think he’s a fine actor, but it’s a bit like with Meryl Streep. I appreciate the goodness, but their being in a movie is never an incentive for me to see it. Although, unlike Meryl, Robert hasn’t done outstanding work in quite some time. Still, his filmography is enviable for any actor – and not just because he worked with Scorsese. For his birthday, here are what I consider to be his five finest moments.
      
Max Cady in Cape Fear (1991)
Every man... every man has to go through hell to reach paradise.”

Jimmy Doyle in New York, New York (1977)
Do I look like a gentleman to you in this shirt and these pants?
         
Jake La Motta in Raging Bull (1980)
Who's an animal? Your mother's an animal, ya son of a bitch.

Michael in The Deer Hunter (1978)
You have to think about one shot. One shot is what it's all about. A deer's gotta be taken with one shot.

Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver (1976)
Shit... I'm waiting for the sun to shine.”
          
Are you a bigger De Niro fan? Which of his performance thrills you most?

5 comments:

Castor said...

Same boat. I like DeNiro but I wouldn't watch a movie just because he is in it. I guess though that his prime was in the 70's and 80's so that doesn't really say anything. He certainly has had his fair share of iconic roles. Also love him in Goodfellas and The Godfather Part 2

TomS said...

In his heyday, DeNiro's name in the credits meant that a film was likely to be important, and essential viewing. So to me, that says a lot. Without that period in his career, we would not be discussing him today.

Since 1989, I would agree that there is very little DeNiro has done that has stirred my enthusiasm.

Andrew, if you have a chance, check out Scorsese's 1973 "Mean Streets", the film that made DeNiro a critical star (one year before his "GFII" Supporting Oscar). You will surely include this on your list.

MovieNut14 said...

My favorite performances of his are in the form of his two Oscar-winning roles: The Godfather Part II and Raging Bull.

Nicholas Prigge said...

I agree with TomS. In "Mean Streets" his rambling, incoherent "excuse" to Keitel is classic stuff.

But I would also say he still had "it" as recently as the late 90's. I thought his performances in "Wag the Dog" and "Jackie Brown" were exemplary. Especially "Wag the Dog." And I think they were kind of overlooked because of his more famous work.

Ever since then...

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

castor for some reason he's third of the trio for me in goodfellas. i always wish ray liotta would have had a smidgen of success after that movie.

tom i've been meaning to see mean streets forever. ugh, bad socrsese fan.

anna i don't quite love him in the godfather, but it's another fine performance no doubt.

nicholas i almost went with wag the dog instead of cape fear, and i liked him in analyse this, too - although lisa kudrow made that film.