Wednesday, 31 August 2011

“I don’t want to be a personality”

I’ve never liked Richard Gere as an actor. He’s shown up in a number of films that I like, a few that I sort of love even, but he always comes off as a bit inconsequential and I never end up remembering him foremost for any film he’s been in. Looking over his résumé last night, though, I was surprised to notice just how many brilliant actresses the man has worked with. There was a running gag these past few months where a few bloggers were commenting on how odd it was that the unremarkable John C. Reilly was being cinematically married to all these beautiful women – but, at least Reilly is a talented actor.
   
For all his blandness, though, Gere seems to be a good-luck charm. What do Debra Winger, Julia Roberts, Renee Zellweger and Diane Lane have in common? They all earned Best Actress nominations starring opposite him. It’s probably a bit awful of me to celebrate the good women who’ve starred opposite him on his birthday, but I find him so boring. I’ve loved films he’s been in, but I’ve never actually loved him. He says that he doesn’t want to be a personality, and I suppose he succeeds. He doesn’t really seem to have one.

7 comments:

anahita said...

I *love* him. I think he's a great actor, plus he's so schmexy :)

Walter L. Hollmann said...

I like Richard Gere personally -- so I thought. Then I look at this, featuring his most famous films, and I realize...I've only seen Chicago. (And The Hoax and I'm Not There, but that's it) I need to see more Gere movies.

Candice Frederick said...

i adore him! i don' think he's bland! my favorite performance from him I think is Unfaithful. but of course i love Chicago, officer and a gentleman and pretty woman.

Colleen said...

I've always felt that Gere is one of the most underrated actors of our time. Seriously, how does EVERYONE get an Oscar nomination for An Officer and a Gentleman and he doesn't? Have you ever seen Internal Affairs or Sommersby? Those are two good examples of the his range.

Jose said...

Poor thing, if his tap dancing in Chicago didn't get him into the big award leagues, nothing ever will.
He's bland as fuck and I've never really understood what exactly is so appealing about his looks. FYI, some useless trivia, a Honduran president was elected largely because women voters thought he looked like Gere.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

oh, ana you and your questionable taste in men. ;)

walter you haven't seen pretty woman? an officer and a gentleman? those movies were staples of my childhood.

candice he was better than usual in chicago. i'll give you that.

colleen i haven't seen either of the two you mention, so i suppose i'm still learning of him.

jose but is he goodlooking? i mean, anahita thinks so, but he just seems bleh.

anahita said...

yes, yes he is :P