Friday, 8 July 2011

An Old-Fashioned Link Story

I can't put my finger on why, but I love this post Rich (Wide Screen World) does on Woody's Manhattan. I really need to see that one again, of all the Woody films I've seen it's the only one I've seen once - I can hardly remember it. And in other news, I still haven't seen Midnight in Paris.Ugh.
                 
Emmy nominees are coming up soon (Emmy conversation continue with me and Ryan) and Kate Winslet is essentially a shoo-in for her work on Mildred Pierce (check out Jose's ten best moments from a few months back). Well Alex reviews the work of the original Mildred - Joan Crawford's Oscar winning performance.
                      
Nicholas (Anomalous Review) puts forth a rousing defense of Keira Knightley in Atonement, although the word defense suggests that there is something damning about the performance which needs to be defended. I love the film and Keira in it, but I know Keira is not loved by all, which is a shame. She was the MVP in Never Let Me Go only last year.
             
Nathaniel's (The Film Experience) poll on memorable Best Actress characters of the 90 gave Jodie Foster the edge for the 91-95 women. I'm not that fond of Clarice Starling or The Silence of the Lambs, but CS (Big Thoughts From A Small Mind) offers of a great write-up on its longevity. I re-watch is in order when I get some time, I suppose.
     
In just a few paragraphs Paolo (Okinawa Assault) manages to touch on some significant things in Notes on a Scandal. I just love Cate Blanchett as Sheba. And, on the topic of Cate being excellent Norma (The Flick Chicks) pays tribute to her work in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, another performance I adore. Where was her Oscar nomination? Heck, not even a Globe nod.

Ben (Runs Like A Gay) has some harrowing words about The Conspirator. I want to see this if only because Robin Wright Penn is delightful (she made The Private Lives of Pippa Lee so much better than it deserves) but he's not impressed with the film.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Did you get my message?

Paolo said...

Thanks for the linkage. I keep forgetting about Cate's greatness and her CV isn't too much on TV/rep theatres yet, but watching her on Notes on a Scandal proved me wrong. She was brilliant in Button too.