Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Here's Your Link

Harry Potter is ending, and though I've kept my fanboyish love for the series away from the blog I shall miss it - especially Rupert Grint who I hope gets a post-Potter career that we'll remember. Tom Lamont (The Observer) has a brilliant article and an interview with Grint on the end of Ron. (And I can't hate on Emma (All About Movies)for her crazy fanaticism.)

I command you all to go check out this inventive post from RC (Strange Culture) - half screenwriting, half comedy. He takes the titles of some summer blockbusters and turns them into romantic comedies.

Shakespearean adaptations aren't as cool as they once were and the 2004 production of The Merchant of Venice has its share of issues, but it's still a fine film. Yojimbo (Let's Not Talk About Movies) reviews.

Did you know that the original Doctor Doolittle was Oscar nominated? Tim (Antagony & the Ecstasy) offers up a great review, as always, of the Eddie Murphy version.

You can be assured that if you do a post on Katharine Hepburn I'll read it. Alex (Film Forager) reviews The African Queen. You really can't get more iconic than Bogey and Kate.

Everybody seems to be in love with Michael Fassbender, and sure I think he's fine (MVP in Jane Eyre, which I've yet to review) but I don't go crazy over him or his much feted turn in Fish Tank. Ruth (Flix Chatter) reviews the latter - and Cars 2, another film I need to review.

Meredith (M. Carter at the Movies) takes us back more than a decade to Pleasantville

Like any true cinephile, Joana (For Cinephiles by a Cinefille) is doing a movie marathon for her birthday. What do you think of the list?

...and to send you out on a high: first, Kristopher Tapley (In Contention) and The Dark Knight Rises poster - short and Jose (Movies Kick Ass) rips into the latest Transformers. I feel as if I'd seen it I'd enjoy the review more, but when is Jose's snark not a welcome treat?
      
(PS: Check out the blog-a-thon.)

3 comments:

RC said...

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Glad you enjoyed.

TomS said...

Andrew...about Doctor Dolittle, yes, I did know about it's BP nom! There's a great book out called "Pictures From a Revolution" that describes in every detail the Best Picture race of 1967 (which also included Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and In the Heat of the Night).
Dolittle's nomination was something of a scandal.
That was also the year the Oscar telecast was postponed due to the assasination of Martin Luthetr King Jr.

Joanna said...

Thanks for linking and your recommendation. The Fisher King is one of the movies I am more pumped for. Now let's see if I actually follow through on this plan.