Friday, 3 June 2011

Let Me Link

So, June’s here already. I’ve been blogging, but I feel as if May just flew by and I did nothing some substantial. Not that I’m asking, though. Although, these posts are probably more substantial than anything I’ve been doing recently.
   
I love this post from Yojimbo covering The Usual Suspects. I’m not besotted with the film (although I do like it) but I am with his analysis of it. If you haven’t seen the movie, you really shouldn’t read it.
           
I always appreciate it when Nicholas goes crazy on the movies he loves, even if I don’t care for them. I can’t even remember Elizabethtown clearly (I should probably get on that) but he loves it. He really loves it.
          
Paolo might not love Malcolm X but he put forward a nice writeup on it.
          
Joana’s post reminds me how awful I’ve been about 2011 film-watching. I haven’t seen any of the three films she speaks of here (Bridesmaids, Meek’s Cutoffoff and Something Borrowed).

Luke, who started counting down his favourites after me, has reached his number one. I wholeheartedly approve of his choice. It stars cinema’s greatest actor. Guess who.

I was unable to participate on Nathaniel’s Hit Me With Your Best Shot on Moulin Rouge! (so sad, I couldn't find my DVD until Thursday. aaaaaaah.) but I was waiting to see what Jose would write. I know he loves it, and he celebrates it by celebrating Satine. Who can blame him?

It’s not a staple of his blog, but I do like this post from Walter covering the 1974 Best Actress nominees. Faye and Ellen would face off for the win in my book. What about you?

And I close with Tom’s interesting look at The Color Purple. I like the film with reticence, but I love this post of his questioning Speilberg’s sincerity.

7 comments:

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Thanks for the linkage! I'm not only behind in my 2011 watching...I'm behind in my reviews of the little I've seen! I wish I *had* a DVD of Moulin Rouge...love that movie. But then, how does one narrow it down to a single BEST shot?

Paolo said...

For the record, I liked Malcolm X the film, it's the person I still kind of have problems with. Which is good since the film challenges its audience and pushes boundaries and all of that.

Thanks for the linkage Andrew. :)

Nicholas Prigge said...

Thank you for the link, sir. Most kind. You probably don't need to get up to speed with the movie, though. I'm fairly certain it's not as good as it is within the context of my own mind.

Luke said...

Thanks for the shout-out! And thanks for continuously supporting all us other bloggers with your linkage!

TomS said...

Hi Andrew..
Thank you for the kind words regarding my re-view of "Color Purple". Especially since I knew the risk involved in looking critically at a well-loved film.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

walter it would be difficult choosing a single best shot for ML indeed.

paolo like with most of washington's performances i always feel a bit disconnected to his characterisation.

nicholas i love kirsten and susan and i have an appreciation for orlando, so who knows?

luke aah, thanks!

tom once it's what you believe , no need for worrying.

Yojimbo_5 said...

A-ha-ha-ha-ha! A "shout-out" that includes the line "you really shouldn't read it!" I love it!

Made my day...:D