Saturday, 12 February 2011

With A Link In My Heart

 My favourite post of the week is a no-contest, the fact that Nick gives Annette Bening such a great send-up means I can rest happy. I still think that the best actress race is undecided (mirroring a Cotillard vs Christie) race, and I'm still maintaining hope for the Bening. Sigh, me and my dreams.

So, apparently Jose loves The Social Network, which means we're back to being on the same page which makes me very happy. He's busy with grad school and whatnot, so I'm going on easy on him for the sporadic posting.

Luke is into his top ten films and takes a look at an Ang Lee one. My favourite Lee film is actually Sense & Sensibility, but the man is masterful. Enough said.

Walter is going on a rampage with recasting classics and decides on re-doing The Ten Commandments and Elmer Gantry. He replaces the delicious Anne Baxter with the delicious Salma Hayek in the former, which is a downgrade in performance but worthy, and then he replaces Burt Lancaster with Joaquin Phoenix in the latter which is a HUGE upgrade. I approve.

Paolo has some nice screencaps - oh, look Maggie the Cat, then Tracy Lords. Ah, movies...

Tom gives a lovely writeup on Shirley Booth in Come Back Little Sheba, I love William Inge's work but I've never seen this one. 

Univarn asks us to live out our favourite screen moments (that picture right below is mine, aaah Katherine Clifton). I don't know why everyone's avoiding the reality - you know you'd use that opportunity to have sex with the stars....hmmm, sounds like a reality show. Sexin'  with the Stars...

Robert is looking at his favourites of the past year and I love his nominees for Art Direction and Costume, both so personal (the way it should be), if somewhat surprising - the Colleen Atwood snub is hurtful, but I digress. Speaking of year-end love, Ryan counts down his top ten films. #1 is amazing, so I approve this list.

9 comments:

okinawaassault said...

Thanks for the linkage. I actually like that set just because of the classics in my hard drive.

M. Hufstader said...

Great list of links! And I would not be surprised if that ever became a reality show. And mad lovely picture of Annette Bening, she's just gorgeous.

Jose said...

XOXO I'm also slow on my commenting but not on my reading XOXO again just because.

I wouldn't mind if Annette won actually but I belong to the church of Nina Sayers this year...

Simon said...

Bening looks so saucy in that picture.

Is it wrong that I want Bening to winp artly for the performance, but partly because, considering the Academy's ageism, she likely won't get another chance until she's much, much older?

Robert said...

Thanks for the link! I appreciate. Sorry about snubbing Colleen, but what can I say. :P I definitely think she did great work on "Alice" but it totally didn't pop out in my mind when I went to make the list.

Luke said...

Thanks for the link my friend - and how did I guess that S&S would be your favorite Lee picture? Perhaps it was your love of everything that resembles Merchant Ivory... :)

Oh, and that shot of Anne Baxter made me want to watch that bitchy gloriousness right this second. What an over-the-top goofball movie!

Brandon (Twister) said...

I know it'll make you weep, but I just don't see Bening winning this time around -- though had it been in any other year she'd swipe it for sure.

I'm SOO behind on recent Oscar hoopla, so keep an eye out for me!

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

paolo i sort of love how you juxtapose the classics with the simpsons. talk about whimsy...

m. hufstader yeah, she's gorgeous and smart at the same time.

jose i'm slow on everything at the moment. shame on me, sort of, i suppose.

simon no it's not wrong, isn't that normal thinking? really, though, i'd think annette has a chance of winning again because she's easily more eclectic than natalie, but perhaps that's just me. (and annette seems to be getting better with age.)

robert ironic - and hilarious - that the costumes of alice in wonderland (arguably 2010's most officious films) didn't pop out at you.

luke yeah...it's like a fake merchant ivory...but just as good. ang lee sure is diverse, though. (and anne baxter is sooo delicious. i had a MAJOR crush on her back in the day.)

brandon i'm really getting a marion/julie vibe. you know, drama actress pegged for the win, each win globs, drama actor wins SAG then a BAFTA shakeup or whatnot. but, we'll see.

TomS said...

Andrew,
I was so pleased that you enjoyed the piece on Shirley Booth. Some day, I hope you will take a look at "Come Back Little Sheba", for Oscar history's sake if nothing more... You might like it better than you expected to.