Thursday, 17 February 2011

Happy Birthday, Arthur

Poor Arthur Kennedy never gets remembered like his peers. The man has five Oscar nominations; Champion (1949), Bright Victory (1951), Trial (1955), Peyton Place (1957), Some Came Running (1958). I've only seen three of them and true, I can't say that I'm an unbridled fan of his. Of the three I've seen him in (Bright Victory, Peyton Place, Some Came Running) the closest I came to loving him was in Peyton Place - and I was way more fond of Russ Tamblyn in that one. I did like him opposite Gertrude Lawrence in The Glass Menagerie (1950) and he does seem like a capital fellow and five Oscar nominations is nothing to shirk at.
               
Any Arthur fans out there?

5 comments:

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Such an underappreciated actor. He wowed me as the American journalist in Lawrence of Arabia. He moved me as the atheist journalist in Elmer Gantry. He disgusted me as the bad stepdad in Peyton Place, the only one of his Oscar nominated performances I've seen. One of those actors I need to watch more of...and I'll make an effort to do so.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

walter forgot about him in lawrence - but everyone sort of gets forgotten for me in light of omar and peter who are just amazing there.

Alex in Movieland said...

I think that of his nominated performances I've only seen Peyton Place - and he was very good in it, Oscar-winning good.

Ginger Ingenue said...

I am. I love Arthur Kennedy!

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

alex i just REALLY like russ in peyton place.

and we have an arthur lover in the form of ginger. any favourites?