Monday, 11 October 2010

Music Break [...with the Cast of Rent]

There’s something off about the film version of Rent. I don’t know what it is, and I haven’t seen the Broadway play so it’s unlikely I’ll ever be able to glean it...but it just feels clunky. That being said, measuring the Original Broadway Cast Recording against the Original Film Soundtrack the latter is the superior. I don’t know if the it’s the years of growth that improve the cast, but I do know I prefer Rosario Dawson’s singing voice to Daphne  Ruben-Vega’s – the original Mimi.
              
Still, as weird as some of the numbers look (they all song great) “La Vie Boheme” is untouchable.

4 comments:

Ryan T. said...

Not sure if it'll be easily accessible, but try and watch Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway which is basically the play shot for film. As someone, like you, who has never seen the stage version and only had the film version as reference, it was great.

Oh and I also agree with you about the soundtrack. Sure, it's less "gritty and real" than the original, but the power and clarity are also quite nice.

M. Hufstader said...

I'm one of those New Yorkers who's seen the Broadway version more than once, and I've got to say, for a stage-to-screen adaptation, Rent The Movie actually does a fair job. Granted, it makes it a bit glossy, sidesteps some of the less "Hollywood" bits and pieces of subtle drama, but after throwing a fit the first time I saw the movie (they left out some essential parts! And PG-13 rating? Really?), I've come to peace with the movie and appreciate it for what it is. I also appreciated the way they updated it a little for a modern social commentary, such as having Take Me Or Leave Me done in the middle of a gay marriage. Props to Rent for that.

Simon said...

The movie, I believe, is something the original Rent (or at least its intention) would scorn. From what I've heard.

And yet, La Vie Boheme is kind of brilliant.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

ryan true words there. i don't like the obc recording, especially on songs like "light my candle" and the title song.

m. hufstader hello there. the pg-13 rating is weird because the book of "rent" sounds like an R (hence the lack of "contact" in the movie")

simon but, save for two persons the entire broadway cast was in the movie.