Wednesday, 8 September 2010

2010...so far: The Men

I should be turning in my bloggers' license if there was such a thing. September has arrived and I've seen only a small number of films for the year. (check the sidebar). I'm still not sure what to make of 2010 so far, it's been fair but I've given out one A- for the year. My highest grade. Performance-wise, there have been some gems (or near enough). These five have done outstanding work in my book and could probably make it on my year end list of top Supporting and Leading Actors.
Which male performances have impressed you most thus far?

6 comments:

Robert said...

Goodness, the amount of films you've seen puts me to shame! But great choices. I really did like Leo in Shutter Island, and Michael Shannon was just crazy.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Didn't see Brooklyn's Finest or Nowhere Boy (it's not here yet). Michael Shannon definitely tops the list of so-far supporting actors, though. Then there's Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine, Duvall in Get Low, Jackie Chan in Karate Kid, Wyatt McCallum in Myth of the American Sleepover, and the male ensemble of Scott Pilgrim. All top-notch for me.

Simon said...

Tsk, Mr. Encore.

Jose said...

The ensemble in "Lebanon" takes my best actor award so far this year.

Rachel said...

Great call on Michael Shannon in The Runaways. He and Kristen Stewart were the only reason to watch that film.

For a more comedic flare, I must go with Kieran Culkin in Scott Pilgrim. Best part of an already fantastically fun film.

Burning Reels said...

Both Aaron Johnson and DiCaprio impressed but I doubt they'd make my end of year lists. Greenberg's Ben Stiller and Fish Tank's Michael Fassbender will almost certainly feature.

Is Brooklyn's Finest worth checking out then? It seemed a little generic to me but maybe it's worth a watch afterall.