Friday, 6 August 2010

Movie Meme, Day 6: A Movie That Always Makes Me Cry

The first film that came to my mind which possibly gives it away to some of you, but there it goes (and no if you guess I’m not telling you; yet). I didn’t want to post about it just yet though. So I racked my brains…lies actually, three other films jump out at me. What makes us tearful? Death does, departure does, and inertia does. It makes me lose some significant “cool” points but I shed a tear for each.
    
The Hours (REVIEWED) – for the inertia
I understand that we only get a day in the lives of each character, and only so much can happen in a day, but it’s depressing how even though so much seems to happen nothing really changes. Or instead, it’s strange how the more things change, the more…they don’t. Clarissa probably moves the furthest, but even that is volatile. Laura Brown’s life has been wrought with regrets; Richard’s life was (for him) a disaster, and Virginia Woolf’s life is enough of an exercise in ennui and sadness that even the world’s biggest cynic could be moved.

The Remains of the Day (REVIEWED) – for the departure
The Remains of the Day, ironically being the last of the successful films from Merchant Ivory, has an ending so bleak it can’t NOT make me just a little teary eyed. Stevens reunion with the former head-maid should be more momentous, she knows it. He’s too set in his ways to reciprocate, too set in his ways to be anything but to stoic (albeit polite) man he was raised as. When Emma Thompson tearfully waves goodbye to him…who can blame her?
         
West Side Story (REVIEWED) – for the death(s)

I can never hear Bernstein / Sondheim’s “Somewhere” with getting depressed (but I’m a masochist, so I keep on listening). I’ll keep on saying that I think Richard Beymer is remarkable in West Side Story, as is Natalie Wood (of course). It makes me sadder than Romeo & Juliet because at least they were down with their deaths (well, a little). I don’t know, maybe it’s the fact that he dies with a song, or maybe it’s Natalie’s rant afterwards (what a monologue!). Whatever it is, it makes me want to cry. Yes indeed, yes indeed. (and they killed Russ Tamblyn? Who the hell does that?)
          
How weird am I? Would you cry at any of these? 
          

And yes, this is courtesy of the glorious MEME. I'm loving it so far...

8 comments:

Alex Ramon said...

WEST SIDE STORY ... no.

THE HOURS, yes - especially the scene in which Laura leaves Richie with Mrs. Latch.

And THE REMAINS OF THE DAY: yes, yes, yes.

TomS said...

Ah, Andrew....
As someone who gives himself freely and unashamedly to my emotions watching movies, this post is dear to my heart..
(I'm afraid I was not able to manage the meme on my own, so I hope it's O.K. to weigh in here...thanks!)
I like your choices, especially THE HOURS, which has special resonance for me. The book was even more emotional!
Lots of movies make me cry. The biggest tear-wringers are these:

THE YEARLING (1946)..tearing up now just thinking about it! A boy loses his pet fawn, and childhood ends.
THE RED BALLOON (1956) Yes, a 30-minute children's film with no dialog, but the final image packs a wallop..
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961) Two people in love and a nameless cat in the rain, and "Moon River"...
SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)..We can't help but grieve for this woman...
HARRY AND TONTO (1974)...A lovely meditation on one's final years, and the bonds between man and animal.
A ROOM WITH A VIEW (1986)..Tears of nostalgia and joy!
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (2005)..This most of all..my own heart exposed on the screen...an astonishing portrait of helpless regret.

Better stop here....before I start to wallow....

Castor said...

I don't really know of any movies that can make me cry on multiple rewatch, that just is basically impossible since you come to expect it and build a resistance against it. Not that I ever cry at the movies... ahum...

Dan said...

Movies don't generally make me cry. Usually it's a sports movie that gets those sorts of emotions racing but I'm usually closer to tears of joy than sadness.

Simon said...

Dude. I wanted to have a nice day. Damn.

joe burns said...

I thought The Hours was sad in a more depressing way then in a moving way. The Remains Of The Day was sad, but I didn't cry. Same with West Side Story. I never cry at movies, the only one I did cry for was Little Women (1994 version), when Beth died.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

alex with the hoursevery time clarissa starts crying i WANT to (but i don't).

tom i keep on hearing so many good things about the yearling. and no pressure on not doing the meme.

castor i don't bawl, but i tear up. what can i say? i don't tear up in real life, but movies bring it out.

dan the natural was a little bit poignant.

simon well in addition to world domination i aim to make sure no one gets a "nice" day in their lives. :)

joe i'm not really moved by the '94 version of little women. it's fair but i'll always be hung up on the '32 version.

Yojimbo_5 said...

"To Kill a Mockingbird." Every. Damn. Time.

A combination of Harper Lee, Horton Foote, Elmer Bernstein, Frank Overton, Robert Duvall, Mary Badham, and the unheralded Kim Stanley.

EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

I find Richard Beymer completely insufferable, but, yeah, who would kill Russ Tamblyn? Man!