Monday, 21 June 2010

Music Break […with Norma Dresmond]

I can’t say that I love Andrew Lloyd Webber – sure he has my name (or I his) but generally I’m wont to loathe the man. Still, he has his moments (name Evita and Sunset Boulevard for me). Wilder’s classic doesn’t seem like the usual film to spawn a Broadway production…but the music is lovely at times. Particularly this excellent number, "As If We Never Said Goodbye". It's a love song to the movies really, as Norma sings to the cardboard trees and painted seas of the studio she loves...
          
Elaine Paige is such a good singer, and here's what she does with it...
         
And Ms. Streisand puts her own stamp on the number. What a voice on that woman.
           
And here is the excellent Glenn Close in full costume singing her rendition (for the role which won her a third Tony Award).
                           
I wonder if they’ll ever get around to that screen incarnation of the musical...

6 comments:

Robert said...

i'm not a big ALW fan either, the musicals you mentioned are probably my favorite of his, especially Evita. Great videos, I've never seen the one of Glenn Close! Wow.

Luke said...

Gosh, Glenn Close is great. Where exactly is that elusive Oscar of hers? I really wish she'd do another prestige piece and get a late-in-life trophy. But it seems we've lost her completely to television...

Runs Like A Gay said...

IMDb (I know, I know) are still listing Sunset Boulevard as a 2012 film, with Liza as a rumoured Norma Desmond.

Wouldn't that be brilliant casting (even if she probably isn't capable of fulfilling the role these days). It could only be topped if Joel Grey plays Max.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Went to a karaoke bar last month where they had, like, eight Sunset Blvd songs. I sang this, a dream come true! BTW, I LUFF Andrew Lloyd Weber, and I *cannot* wait for that movie to finally happen!!!

M. Carter @ the Movies said...

Damn. When she ain't boiling bunnies, "Fatal Attraction" lady can sing like nobody's business.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

everyone on the topic of ALW i forgot to mention song and dance it's always forgotten but "tell me on a sunday" is something pretty.

robert glad you saw glenn now, she is amazing.

luke i know, right? the thing is vocally she's just "good" but she puts it all together and you can't stop watching: that's ACTING.

runs like a gay even though i really want glenn for it i think liza or barbra would be good alternates (just not streep, PLEASE).

walter sunset boulevard at karaoke? that sounds so weird...

m. carter yes, she is so very versatile.