Thursday, 29 April 2010

Celebrating the Master

I just wrote about the birthday of a lovely lass, known to lovers as La Pfeiffer. Jose just recently posted a nice piece about the union of that lovely lady and this man, the master of all things acting. Daniel Day Lewis doesn’t work quite as often as I’d like him to, but when he does he’s exceptional. Yes, that includes his Guido Contini from last year, it was imperfect but entertaining. These are my five favourite performances from this genius (as said by Maria Elena)
                 
Plainview in There Will Be Blood (2007)
"Stop crying, you sniveling ass! Stop your nonsense. You're just the afterbirth, Eli"
                      
Gerard Conlon in In the Name of the Father (1993)
"I'm an innocent man. I spent 15 years in prison for something I didn't do. I watched my father die in a British prison for something he didn't do. And this government still says he's guilty. I want to tell them that until my father is proved innocent, until all the people involved in this case are proved innocent, until the guilty ones are brought to justice, I will fight on. In the name of my father and of the truth!"
       
Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York (2003)
"You see this knife? I'm gonna teach you to speak English with this fucking knife! "
       
Newland Archer in The Age of Innocence (1993)
"You gave me my first glimpse of a real life. Then you asked me to go on with the false one. No one can endure that."
       
Christy Brown in My Left Foot (1989)
"All is nothing, therefore nothing must end. "
            
"I want the universe to get down on its knees and say Daniel, whatever you do it's okay even if it's impossible, we'll arrange it. That's all that I want"
        

Give him what he wants. He deserves it.

6 comments:

Robert said...

DDL is just always so, so amazing...even, like you said, in Nine! I think my favorite will always be There Will Be Blood.

Simon said...

DDL is my third favorite acronym (right behind JGL and NPH).

Jose said...

Given how little work he actually does, the man must have the most consistently brilliant career this side of Meryl Streep.
He's one of the all time masters and it's great to see so many people celebrating him!

Castor said...

I wish he would work a little more often since he takes an average of two or three years break in between movies but I read he needs that amount of time to recover and then prepare for his next role. Insane!

rtm said...

I just had the pleasure of watching The Age of Innocence a few weeks ago for the first time. Oh my, the chemistry between Le Pfeiffer & the masterful Day-Lewis is scorching hot! It makes what happened to them all the more devastating. That photo you had of him as Archer takes my breath away. But his looks is just icing on the cake when you've got acting talent such as his. He certainly deserves all the kudos.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

robert i can't argue with your choice of plainview.

simon i'll live with third favourite :)

jose barring nine of course and losing the globe to rdj. ha.

castor i think it was cameron diaz who said he's in character throughout the entire film, scary if it were bill or plainview.

rtm so glad you liked it, it's often forgotten. yes, he's good looking and talented. many have neither and he gets both, but at least he puts it to good use.