Thursday, 25 February 2010

The Supporting Dilemma

If 2009 has offered nothing, it has given us a wide array of good, great and some excellent supporting performances. I’m not sure how I’d rank last year against the others of the decade, but it certainly wasn’t the horrid year it was made out to be by some – especially for the supporting women. I ended up singling out eleven excellent performances but there were so many more on the sidelines I wish I could have mentioned. So I’ll give them their moment. In another year any of these could have made my top 10. Here are 25 good supporting performances of 2009…in ascending order beginning with....
           

TIER FOUR
 
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
                      
TIER THREE
 
  
 
 
  
  
  
  
               
TIER TWO
 
  
 
  
  
  
  
  
 
                 
What are your thoughts on 2009's Supporting Women? Do any of these 25 make your actual list of nominees?

6 comments:

Walter L. Hollmann said...

I loved a lot of these performances, although I consider Natalie Portman a lead in Brothers. Re-watching Avatar, I regretted not having Sigourney Weaver on my top five...but then again there's no way i can bump off Cotillard, Mo'Nique, Moore, Morton or Kristin Scott Thomas. Who doesn't make your list, by the way. Did you see Easy Virtue? She's incredible!

Kerry Fox, by the way, is incredible. With relatively little to do, she does so much. Glad to see her here!

Jude said...

No Anna Kendrick? I thought she was much much better than Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air.

Jose said...

One could easily justify a top five comprised of all the ladies from "An Education" what an astonishing film that was for actresses!
even Sally Hawkins is terrific in like a minute or two.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

walter i did not seen easy virtue and you're so right about kerry.

jude no actually, i REALLY did not like anna's performance. next to bullock it's my least favourite acting nomination.

jose sage words.

Tom said...

Wow, you really analyzed these. I don't think I've seen any of these movies. Except for Up in the Air. Who's that little girl?

M. Carter @ the Movies said...

Seriously, what's the deal with everyone wetting their pants over Mariah Carey in "Precious"? I'll admit the woman can Plain Jane herself up like nobody's business, but she just didn't blow me away. She was understated but not in a particularly interesting or striking way. My theory is that "Glitter" was such a cataclysmic disaster that "Precious" seems good in comparison.