Friday, 12 February 2010

"I Love Your Work"

This afternoon I have my final final exam for this semester of University. You think I'd spend the time studying, don't you? I'm not a bad student, but I spent the morning thus far watching Gosford Park and basking in the light of Robert Altman. It's not that Gosford Park is my favourite film, it's up there with the big ones, but it's not at the top. Moreover, Atlman is not my favourite director, not even close. Still, if there was a film I'd claim as my own it would be this. That large ensemble, the witty dialogue, the beautiful shots, everything is just so meticulously created. Genius.
Which director's masterpiece would you like to take and claim as your work?

7 comments:

Nigel said...

Stephen Daldry---"The Hours"

and perhaps Jane Campion's "The Piano" and "Bright Star."

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Xanadu. I'm not even joking. The disco, the crazy musical numbers, Gene Kelly's excellence...hell, they even have My Fair Lady's Wilfrid Hyde-White and Mrs. Vincent Price (aka Coral Browne) as Zeus and Hera. That movie is a pure pleasure and is so completely me.

Gosford Park, by the way, is one of my favorites, coming as it does from my favorite director. I've watched it instead of studying on many an occasion.

TomS said...

Since I was a wee lad, I wished I had made Bob Fosse's "Cabaret".

More recently: Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain".

Marcy said...

The Godfater: Part II. It was the film that made me temporarily want to become a director. I mean, what a masterpiece...

joe burns said...

Probably Annie Hall. Off-topic, but did you see the film Breaking The Waves? Emily Watson was nominated for Best Actress in 1996 and in my opinion, should have won, even though I haven't seen Diane Keaton's performance yet. Who is your choice for that year?

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

nigel the hours is all kinds of wonderful, indeed.

walter never saw xanudu. i'm guessing you think i should? [glad you're a fan of gosford]

tom good choice.

marcy i don't know why i prefer the original, but part 2 is very good too. i should probably rewatch it (i do have all three).

joe no fair! that means you want to be a writer too :) no, never saw breaking the waves, my pick is KST - and i wish madonna was nominated, actually.

Twister said...

Either Pulp Fiction or Halloween - both genius!