Sunday, 14 February 2010

Encore Awards: Pt. 4: The Final Nominations...

I'm giving you the last set of nominees for my Awards for 2009. Many shocks are ahead - so don't say I didn't warn you. I give you my picks for Makeup and Editing. The former is my least favourite technical award, though it did bring me laughter when I saw The Young Victoria was nominated over two of my nominees. Editing is always fun, though I'm not like AMPAS in thinking my best pictures must always be recognised here, but I suppose I'm avant garde like that. The tech nods can be found HERE.
      
My Adapted Screenplay nods have two comedies, a dramedy, a gritty drama and a fantasy. It is a pity they couldn't all have gotten the love these so deserved. My Best Actor lineup features only one of Oscars' nominees, which is actually good for me. No, it's not Jeff Bridges either. I wonder what you'll think...since my Supporting Actress ballot matches Oscar 0 for 5. So, to address the elephant in the room - Mo'Nique didn't make it. Still, I would say that of the eleven finalists I would have no qualms about putting their names in a bag and randomly picking five, I'd be satisfied with whoever comes out since it's been an exceptional year in this category. My Picture and Director lineup are not so against type, at least not really. You decide. Screenplay, Acting, Director and Picture are HERE.
       
So here are the tallies
Bright Star (11 nominations)
An Education (9 nominations)
Avatar (8 nominations)
Nine (7 nominations)
The Messenger (5 nominations)
Coraline (5 nominations)
The Hurt Locker (5 nominations)
The Road (5 nominations)
A Single Man (4 nominations)
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (3 nominations)
The Lovely Bones (3 nominations)
Cheri (3 nominations)
Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince (3 nominations)
Star Trek (2 nominations)
Three Blind Mice (2 nominations)
Drag Me To Hell (2 nominations)
Moon (2 nominations)
The Princess & the Frog (2 nominations)
Duplicity (1 nomination)
In the Loop (1 nomination)
Public Enemies (1 nomination)
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (1 nomination)
Inglourious Basterds (1 nomination)
Brothers (1 nomination)
The Young Victoria (1 nomination)
Where the Wild Things Are (1 nomination)
         
Winners will be posted sometime in the following week.
         
I'm sure you have lots to say, and I want to hear you say it. So, shout it out!!! Tell me where I'm crazy, or where you agree with me.

9 comments:

Walter L. Hollmann said...

I don't see the Actor noms. Are you sure it's up? Nice call on 2x the Cotillard, btw!

Danny King said...

Loved the inclusion of Marion Cotillard for Public Enemies. She and Depp were both overlooked for their terrific performances in that film. If the film was released later in the year, I have a sneaking suspicion that she might have snuck in over Penelope Cruz.

Other ones I also loved seeing were John Hillcoat, Abbie Cornish, and Anthony Mackie.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

walter yikes. they're up now.

danny the lack of love for cotillard (x2) is puzzling to me.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Wish I'd seen The Road, and I hadn't even heard of Three Blind Mice until these noms. I'm so psyched over your love of Bright Star, which always seemed to place #6 in my own noms. Nice shot for The Lovely Bones cinematography nom.

Robert said...

There is so much to like in these nominations I don't even know where to start. I especially love your inclusion of Coraline in Best Picture...it was fantastic. And Rosamund Pike has been sadly overlooked this year.

Luke said...

I'm going to agree with the above comments on Cotillard in Public Enemies. Though I was pretty underwhelmed with the film itself, she was definitely the best part of it for me. And glad to see your Bright Star love spill over into the score, which was my favorite part of the movie. The Human Orchestra track has been in heavy play on my iPod since I saw the film. :)

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

walter i know i love bones more than most, but even those who don't must admit the brilliance of those shots.

robert definitely sad about pike, but she'll always have me ;)

luke public enemies did underwhelm me, which made cotillard so much more of a treasure. most could not combat a bad film to make such a great performance. and the human orchestra is amazing in bright star.

TomS said...

I felt more connection and sympathy with the 2-dimentional animated characters in "Up" than the "3-D" creations in that obscure Cameron film....(grin)

I agree with most of your picks...I was interested, and support your decision,to leave Jeff Bridges off your list.

Thank you for recognizing Julianne Moore.
I can't seem to work up the enthusiasm to see Bright Star (I was not a big fan of The Piano despite the hype and awards) but I am very excited to see The Messenger.

Nice work!

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

tom i'm going to ignore your swipe at avatar. glad you're with me on julianne and bridges, and bright star is not like the piano...i don't think.