Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Encore Awards 2009: Pt. 1

I have to post reviews and grades of a few films before I officially wind off 2009, but I've been promising this post for a while now and I'm actually quite anxious to know what you think. Awards, awards, awards. It's actually a copout when you think of it, since I'm just handing out the nominees this week. I want to rewatch some key films before I decide on the winners, but I digress. I'm unveiling my thoughts on three categories today so tell me what you think. Click on the links to see my nominees.
                     
Original Song turned into a complete joke at the AMPAS as far as I'm concerned, though this year's nominations are at least better than last year's. Two of their picks make my top 5, so I suppose it's all good. 
               
Costume Design is always interesting, though I have not seen Coco Avant Chanel, and I don't plan to.
               
Then, there's Supporting Actor. In a year of boring decisions this has to be the worse main category at the Oscars, but what do I care? I'll honour the snubbed here - there were so many of them. How many do we have in common...? One. I'm surprised.
       
So three categories down. What would your lineup of costumes look like? Did you crazy for the Crazy Heart songs? And who were the valuable supporting men for you? Sound off below.

9 comments:

Castor said...

Costume: I thought Sherlock Holmes should have gotten a nomination. They really did a great job.

Supporting Actor: Anthony Mackie, The Hurt Locker was snubbed

Original song: I did like The Weary Kind, it really was the essence of the movie so I don't really have a problem with it

Jose said...

Nice.
I really think you did good skipping Coco Before Chanel, it is such a dull movie. I already made a point out of this before but recreating Chanel's costumes shouldn't have gotten the movie a nomination! It should've gotten the house a nod, it's like when Edith Head got all the nods for Givenchy's work with Audrey Hepburn. Ridiculous.
I love Supporting actor although I'm among those who didn't like anything about The Messenger. Awesome to see Paul Schneider and Newton.

Robert said...

I love your best song choices. It's really too bad AMPAS decided to overlook either of the songs from "An Education", Though their selections weren't horrid this year like usual. The "Nine" songs are great, and "Almost There" was probably the BEST part of Princess for me...ahhhh!

Jude said...

Glad to see both of Nine's songs represented their!

Jude said...

Mm I still have supporting actor to do. Your choices are quite interesting.

Luke said...

I totally agree that Supporting Actor was easily one of the weakest categories this year... but the bright side of that is that it lets awards bodies (or more likely bloggers) include a diverse crowd of candidates. Case in point, your list, which features a few Oscar candidates, a few blogosphere faves, and a few unique faves - love it! :)

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

castor perhaps the weary kind didn't blow me away, because the film didn't either.

jose i was confused about the coco nod, i had presumed most of the clothes were not chanel's but there goes that thought. it's seems silly, i always though the award was best ORIGINAL costume design, but then i realised i had misread it... [and i love the messenger, sorry]

robert the only thing i had against almost there is that ended waaaay too fast.

jude interesting... compliment i hope.

luke thanks. the weird thing is that this category was ridiculously packed and yet the choices were so generic. pity.

M. Carter @ the Movies said...

You are so dead-on about Abbie Cornish for Best Actress and Anthony Mackie for Best Supporting Actor! Cornish got my attention in "Candy" with Heath Ledger, and she is stunning in "Bright Star" -- a real force of nature. Renner's getting all the (well-deserved) press for "Hurt Locker," but Anthony Mackie did a fine job.

"Bright Star" also deserved inclusion in the Best Picture category. Visually it's a stunner, and the performances make it even better.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

m.carter obviously cornish suffered from clashing with other youths, there really were quite a few good young ones this year - her, mulligan, sidibe, ronan, blunt. hopefully she continues doing good work.