Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Shades of Diane Keaton

It's January 5th and today the original Annie Hall of them all turns 66. Yes, today is Diane Keaton's birthday. Diane Keaton is a whole lot of fun - as an actress and as a "star" though I don't like to use that word. So I'm going to zero in on five of her performances that I find most enthralling like I did on Scarlett's birthday. So wish Diane a Happy Birthday; and enjoy the list.

Theresa Dunn in Looking For Mr. Goodbar (1977)

"I'm alone, I'm not lonely. I'm depressed - you're depressing me."
               
Bessie in Marvin's Room (1996)


"Oh my goodness, just look at you. Are you really that old?"
                   
Annie Hall in Annie Hall (1977)

"La-di-da, la-di-da, la la."
                          
Louise Bryant in Reds (1981)

"No, you love yourself! Me, you FUCK!"
                       
Erica Barry in Something's Gotta Give (2003)

"I'm like the dumb girl that doesn't get it. I've never been the dumb girl before. It ain't so great."

7 comments:

Alex in Movieland said...

well, Annie Hall leads the way :)

I've actually never seen Mr. Goodbar and Marvin's Room (this one because I have a feeling Meryl is bad in it, and I wouldn't want to face that).

Lolita said...

I think she's great in Something's Gotta Give, and it was quite fun to see a romantic comedy about a middle aged couple for a change. Good list!

Luke said...

First off, Alex, you must see Marvin's Room. Never fear, the entire cast does superb work!
Second, it's kind of amazing that she looks most beautiful and radiant in the latest of the films. Age has certainly done Diane justice.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Nice list, with a good mix of the comic and serious roles.

I've not seen Goodbar either, so I probably would have dropped that for The Godfather - her transformation as she understands what her husband is becoming is every bit as good as Pacino's.

Why doesn't she get many decent roles anymore? Is she not trying?

joe burns said...

I've only seen Something's Gotta Give and Annie Hall. I loved her in both!

TomS said...

Great post! "Goodbar" was released here the same year as "Annie Hall", 1977. At the time it was quite powerful. I haven't seen it for a long time, it is hard to find on video.

There is an inside joke in the film....Keaton is sitting at the bar, drinking. As Richard Gere approaches her, he notices she is reading, and asks her what it is. The book is "The Godfather".

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

alex meryl isn't bad. diane is "better", but i'm with luke: the entire cast is good.

lolita nancy meyers won't be able to trump that movie. it was very good.

luke i've always noticed that about her. she was always pretty, but the older she gets the more vibrant she looks.

runs like a gay judging from the last 10 years you wouldn't know she's good at drama and she is. i have no idea why she's not in better movies.

joe they're both good, but you check out the others.

tom i'm thinking if she didn't get a nod for annie hall, she could have just as easily won for goodbar.