Sunday, 31 January 2010

Forgotten Characters 2:2

Often forgotten characters are cameos that enhance their films, even their not remembered long afterwards. If done right I’m always ready for a good cameo even though it’s more common in the comedies. In 2004, though, a favourite cameo and forgotten character occurred with this man:
                         
Jude Law in The Aviator
As Errol Flynn

Jude Law has one scene in The Aviator, a film that towers at just below three hours. It’s no surprise that this is forgotten stuff, it’s not exactly that essential to the plot, but it sure is interesting. Howard and Katharine Hepburn are out on what’s probably their first of dates when Hughes’ press agent and the brash Mr. Flynn crash their table. Jude Law exudes the charm of old Hollywood; it’s the kind of cameo that you wish could become the subject of a film – because he certainly could pull it off. It’s of course just an excuse for us to hear about Old Hollywood, but it is welcome. Errol kisses Kate’s hand praising her turn in Alice Adams whilst simultaneously remarking that she should use Lux on her hands, to which she self consciously looks at her knuckles. He then launches into a hilarious tirade involving his prospective seduction of a “Ms. DeHavilland and her equally luscious sister”. It all culminates in Errol extracting a pea from Hughes’ dinner plate which only ticks the schizophrenic Hughes off. What makes this scene work is that Jude plays it as if he’s the star here, and it’s perfect for what we perceive Hollywood legend Flynn to be like. What’s even more delightful is Scorsese’s directing. As Howard and Kate leave the Coconut Grove we pan over to Flynn beginning a fight with a not-so-innocent patron that hints at – but doesn’t overstate – his anger issues.
                                  It's like he wants her hand for dinner...

Jude Law is an excellent actor, even if he’s hit a slump lately and his bit performance in The Aviator is just proof of his talent, and seeing Cate opposite him [even if it's only for a few moments] is good enough for me.
               
Do you remember Jude’s Errol Flynn? Or did The Aviator leave you cold?
             

8 comments:

Jose said...

I just can not say how much I love this performance!
Of course I LOVE the whole movie and its effortless way of evoking classic Hollywood.
The lunch at the Hepburns home is perfection.
I think Jude worked so well precisely because we just saw him once, the man has charm to throw away and I'm sure he swept the entire audience off its feet.
I also really liked the guy who played Spencer even if he doesn't even speak, the concepts these people played are what made them so enigmatic.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

jose glad you're a fan of this movie, because many are not. it really is classic hollywood to a T, you're correct about them playing concepts. it's a film about an aviator, but it is more of an ode to old cinema than aviation.

joe burns said...

Didn't like this film the first time I saw it, but I don't remember a lot of it. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

I *did* forget this performance. Looks like I'll have to re-watch The Aviator (always welcome). Thanks for the reminder!

Univarn said...

All I remember about this performance was thinking: "Hey that's Jude Law.... hey that was Jude Law." Then afterwards forgetting he was in it at all until people remind me.

If anything it reminds me I've never seen an Errol Flynn movie *hangs head in shame*

CrazyCris said...

Oh yes I remember this! I would totally sit down for an Errol Flynn biopic if it were starring Jude Law as Tasmania's most infamous son! :o)

Nigel said...

Wow, I'm also to blame for forgetting. I am going to have to re-watch this movie.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

joe i hope you rewatch it and like it...

walter, nigel no harm done in experiencing another scorsese...

univarn we all have some classics we've never touch. you can't go wrong starting off with his robin hood films which are the quintessential flynn flicks.

crazycris jude definitely has the charm and talent for the role, though it'd never happen