Monday, 11 January 2010

The Cinematography Game

The Mad Hatter just recently posted his podcast. During the enjoyable 40 minutes he spoke about five of his favourite cinematography in films. It's an interesting thought, I often think of cinematography as the most important technical element of  a film - yes, more than editing. If it's not well shot, sorry, I don't like it as much. You're probably thinking, style over substance. Perhaps. But if I were to look at my top 20 films or so: the majority have enviable cinematography. So, it got me thinking what films have my favourite cinematography. It's a tough job, and one I can't do in a day. But below are shots from ten films. They're not my absolute favourite shot films; but they're some of them. Each of these have been shot that they all look so picturesque. I'd like to live in any of them.
       
I decided not to list the names, why don't you guess? Some are simple, some are tough. Give it a go.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sound off below on which you recognise. Let's see who gets the most. And why don't you tell me which is your favourite, perhaps I'll expound on it in a later post.

9 comments:

The Mad Hatter said...

Hey cool - good to see that Cheshire and I aren't alone in our love for pretty pictures. I must admit though, that Lady hatter might argue with you on visuals vs. editing (she's a TV editor).

As for the shots you posted...

1. FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
2. BEN HUR
3.
4. THE ENGLISH PATIENT
5. TITANIC
6.
7.
8. THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES...
9.
10.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Filling gaps only

3. Room with a View (Tony Pierce-Roberts)

6. (on a limb) Australia (Mandy Walker)

9. Atonement (Seamus McGarvey)

I think when you let us know what 10 is I'll be kicking myself, but 7 is a complete mystery.

Jude said...

LOVE me some From Here to Eternity. Everything is perfect in that movie, especially the cinematography!

MovieNut14 said...

1) From Here to Eternity
2) Ben Hur
3) Room with a View
4) The English Patient
5) Titanic
6)
7) The Aviator
8)
9)
10) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The others I'm stumped.

joe burns said...

Titanic, The English Patient, From Here To Eternity, Ben-Hur, and Howard's End (?). That's all I can come up with it.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

everyone next time it'll be tougher. can't believe that #6 is the one that no one is getting. keep trying, it's simple.

Luke said...

#6 is totally Cold Mountain! (Right?)

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

everyone we have a winner. so here's all the answers, since they've all been guessed. thanks for playing.

1. from here to eternity, first guessed by mad hatter
2. ben-hur, first guessed by mad hatter
3. a room with a view, first guessed by runs like a gay
*4. the english patient, first guessed by mad hatter
5. titanic, first guessed by mad hatter
6. cold mountain, first guessed by luke
*7. the aviator, first guessed by movienut 101
*8. the assassination of jesse james, first guessed by the mad hatter
9. atonement, 3. a room with a view, first guessed by runs like a gay
10. benjamin button, first guessed by movienut 101

i thought the ones with * would be most difficult.

Nigel Maruva Chikukwa said...

damn. "Cold Mountain."

I remember that year. Renee's year.
She's such a tease, especially in "Chicago."