Thursday, 26 November 2009

Antichrist: Part Une

An unnamed married couple retreat to the woods to deal with some psycholgical issues in Antichrist. I'm not Lars Von Triers fan. I've not seen that many of his films, and for of those I've seen - I'm not that impressed. Sue me. I didn't like this movie. Not one bit. I could end this post with that, since I'm not quite sure how to explain. Charlotte Gainsburg performance rang through as so false for me, I'm nonplussed as to how she's won awards for this. As I said, Dafoe was my main draw here. He's capable, but unexceptional. I suppose the film is Von Triers giving the finger to the world; but hot damn. I was unmoved.  I was uninterested in either of the two characters. Nothing. Zilch. I don't how the heck I'm grading this.

I'll be back with Part Deux

4 comments:

joe burns said...

Hmm,looks creepy.

knowingviews said...

Wow. Angry. Okay, perhaps consider the subject: mourning the lost of your only child and how you blame yourself as you were, of all things, shagging while it happened. You're going to feel pretty bad. THEN, to think [spoiler] you actually realise that you hated the child and, pretty much, killed the child yourself.

Without considering everything [I wrote a review on it...], I think a sad face looking out a rainy window doesn't really wrap such emotion up. Pregnant pauses or tears doesn't summarise the horror of such an event. The gore is pretty much the visual equal to the emotion she/he feels - and we are therefore forced to see such a thing.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

joe it definitely is a bit on the creepy side.

knowingviews your review is rather nice. these are just my first thoughts. i just watched it, i'll give a detailed response in part 2, and even 3. i just don't know what grade it'll be...

Alex in Movieland said...

I have no real interest in seeing this. :) but it looks quite artsy to me.

i have seen very few movies from 2009. I'm saving myself for December-January :)