Friday, 9 October 2009

Amanda's Classic Survey

DO THIS NOW!!!!! I saw this over at Lolita's and I'm continuing...It's actually Amanda's...


1. What's your all time favourite Clark Gable film?
Although I'm not a big Gable fan it's easily It Happened One Night. Funny, classic, and though it's not as perfect as I'd like to think, it's still pretty damn good.

                 


2. Do you like Joan Crawford as a comedienne or drama queen?
I'm not really a fan of hers. She's all right, I guess I prefer her in drama cause Mildred Pierce keeps coming to mind.
                      
3. In your opinion, should Ginger Rogers have made more musicals post-Fred Astaire?
No, the dramatic roles post Astaire were growth for her...even though I was no fan of Kitty Foyle. It's good she avoided being typecasted.
                

4. I promise not to cause you bodily (or any other serious) harm if you don't agree with me on this one. So please be honest: do you like Elizabeth Taylor? Hm?
Yes. Here's the proof. She's not always great, but she has a certain presence that stars today don't seem to.
                            
5. Who is your favorite offscreen Hollywood couple?
This is tough. So I'll give you two Annette Bening and Warren Beatty for those alive. Two of my favourite stars and although the marriage and those kids have made Annette disappear I like when I see them out together. Kate and Spence for the departed...though they weren't married. And though it didn't last I liked Vivienne and Laurence together.
                   

6. How about onscreen Hollywood couple?
Not sure I understand...feeling slow...but This is not definitive...but right now I'm thinking Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas in The English Patient. Just sizzling chemistry. I cry every time I see this scene [I  feel like such a girl]. It's a spoiler. Classically though Cary and Kate in anything...except Sylvia Scarlett.




7. Favorite Jean Arthur movie?
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. But was that her movie?
                         

8. What was the first Gregory Peck movie you saw?
It was probably Roman Holiday...but I was way young and didn't really look at it, it was just on. So the first real movie of his I saw was To Kill A Mockingbird.
                          

9. What film made you fall in love with Alfred Hitchcock? (And for those of you that say, "I don't like Hitchcock" -- what is wrong with you?!)
Well I don't love Hitchcock. I'm sorry. But the closest I came to loving him was with Rebecca. A treasure for years to come.
                           
10. What is your favorite book-to-movie adaption?
God...that's hard. I'll give you three. Atonement, The English Patient and Howards End...but none of those are classics...so The Philadelphia Story. Different from the play but still perfect in every way.
               

11. Do you prefer Shirley Temple as a little girl or as a teenager?
As a child. I feel like a paedophile.
                      

12. Favorite character actor?
No idea. Thelma Ritter...?

13. Favorite Barbara Stanwyck role?
 Sorry Wrong Number. Yeah she's old for the role...but your point?
              
14. Who is your favorite of Cary Grant's leading ladies?
Katharine Hepburn today, tomorrow and yesterday. 
                 
15. Bette Davis or Joan Crawford?
Can I say neither? No...well obviously Bette. Bette I don't care for her, Joan Crawford's personality annoys me.
                  
16. What actors and/or actresses do you think are underrated?
Russ Tamblyn is severely underrated. I always feel bad that no one knows him...and while we're on West Side Story. I really think Richard Beymer had potential. I thought he was the best male in the movie...but his career never really took off.
                         
17. What actors and/or actresses do you think are overrated?
 I think I'd say Bette. I like her...but I really don't think that she's all that. I'd say Meryl Streep...because I rarely feel she's being honest...but I'd be stoned to death and she's not a classic actress. Oh wait, I just said it...
                     
18. Do you watch movies made pre-1980 exclusively, or do you spice up your viewing-fare with newer films?
I watch anything...that doesn't look like crap.
                
19. Is there an actor/actress who you have seen in a film and immediately loved? If so, who?
Katharine H. Obviously. I saw The Philadelphia Story and that was it. There was no looking back.
                                

20. Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire?
Astaire. I cannot forgive Kelly for the atrocity that was An American In Paris.
                   
21. Favorite Ginger Rogers drama?
Stage Door...but for all the wrong reasons.
          
22. If you wrote a screenplay, who would be in your dream cast and what roles would they play? (Mixing actors and actresses from different generations is allowed: any person from any point in their career.)
God this is hard. I'm putting zero thought into this right now so ummm here goes. Joe Wright directs it or Cukor. British Period piece starring Kristin Scott Thomas, Keira Knightley, Joaquin Pheonix [or Olivier from Wuthering Heights period], Olivia DeHavilland from her Gone With the Wind Period or Juliette Binoche.
        
KST is Keira's mom. It's 1920s England...after WWI, she's a self centred actress, Pheonix plays the son of one of her former lovers who comes back to reveal some secret of hers [don't ask me what]. He falls in love with Keira, while being seduced by Kristin. Olivia/Juliette plays her best friend, wise cracking but a little dumb. It ends with a death? Okay...just off the top of my head.

                      
23. Favorite actress?
Okay, seriously? Have you not read through this post...lol. It's Kate.
                 
25. Favorite actor?
         
26. And now, the last question. What is your favorite movie from each of these genres:
This is so pre-empting my top 100...but here goes
Drama: The Lion in Winter
Romance: The English Patient
Musical: Cabaret
Comedy: The Philadelphia Story
Western: Tough...don't like them...at the moment The Assassination of Jesse James
Hitchcock: Rebecca
         

Damn that was HARD. I'd tell you all to do it...but I don't know how many of you are classic films buffs. Do it if you can and post  a comment over at Amanda's lovely site...and Alex if you're reading you have to do it...if you want to... 

4 comments:

Lolita said...

Haha, lovely that you feel like a paedophile watching Shirley Temple!

Millie said...

You have such a cool blog! I can't believe I hadn't seen it before!

I absolutely agree about Russ Tamblyn! He was the only good thing about West Side Story (besides Natalie)! After he died, there was no redeeming that film! ;-D

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

You have me laughing, Millie. Oh come on. It wasn't that bad.

Millie said...

Yes it was! But, I really do hate sad stories! I had little tear coming down my face after Russ died...