Thursday, 29 October 2009

2008: Wrapping Up

So the week has passed I’ve assessed the year 2008 more or less, and here are my winners in all the categories I felt I could assess properly with the runners up in parentheses.
    
Costume Design
The Other Boleyn Girl [The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Australia]

                        
Art Direction
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Australia; Changeling]
            
Makeup
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Hellboy; The Reader]

            
Editing
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Revolutionary Road; Burn After Reading]
          
Cinematography
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Australia; The Dark Knight]

            
Score
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [The Reader; Australia]
              
Original Song
Cadillac Records “Once in a Lifetime” [The Wrestler “The Wrestler”; WALL-E “Down to Earth”]
               
Sound Mixing
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [The Dark Knight; WALL-E]
           
Sound Editing
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Wanted; Slumdog Millionaire]
             
Original Screenplay
In Bruges [Vicky Cristina Barcelona; Burn After Reading]

"My date involved two instances of 
extreme violence, one instance was
her hand on my cock and my finger
up her thing which lasted all too
briefly, and then I was away..."

Adapted Screenplay
Revolutionary Road [The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Doubt]
            
Supporting Actress
Amy Adams in Doubt [Kate Winslet in The Reader; Rosemarie DeWitt in Rachel Getting Married]

             
Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading [Jason Butler Harner in Changeling; Philip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt]

          
Lead Actress
Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road [Kristin Scott Thomas in I’ve Loved You So Long; Cate Blanchett in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button]

    
Lead Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio in Revolutionary Road [Collin Farrell in In Bruges; Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon]

           
Director
David Fincher in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Sam Mendes for Revolutionary Road; Stephen Daldry for The Reader]
           
Picture
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Revolutionary Road; The Reader]


Yes, I was going crazy for Benjamin B. I confess. But what can I say I really liked the movie. Fincher, Pitt, Blanchett. They know my weakness. I'm looking forward to 2007 next week. 72 films I saw that year.

2 comments:

Bill Thompson said...

Dude, no way should Ben Button take either sounjd category over Wall-E. That film was revolutionary in the sound and sound editing department, so much so that when it lost at the Oscars the winning sound teams sent letters to the Oscars telling them they got it all wrong and that nothing done in film has ever some close to what Wall-E did with sound.

Bill Thompson said...

Oh yeah, it's not a big deal to me, just letting you know my thoughts on the matter.