Friday, 11 September 2009

Tired, Well Worn, Yet Surprisingly Charming: 17 Again

Against what I’d like to call my better judgement I decided that I would watch 17 Again, Zac Efron Movie. Well the Zac Efron, Matthew Perry and Leslie Mann movie. It was surprisingly good. Sure this has been done before a lot, the body switching (Freaky Friday, Back to the Future, etc). And this neither reinvents nor transcends that well worn theme. But it’s a pleasant film. I really was surprised. I mean I was expecting this film to make me cringe. In addition, I’m so glad to see Leslie Mann, who I think is a great and underrated actress, can play something other than a demented shrew. And it’s so good to see Matthew Perry (the best friend second only to Ms. Kudrow) back on the silver screen.
                                           
Zac Efron was something of a revelation. I was not much fond of  High School Musical, he was trite bordering on boring in Hairspray, but he’s quite good in this. The early scenes when he’s young are a bit docile but when he is reborn it gets better. There were a few moments I really felt like it was Matthew Perry. He didn’t do as well as Lindsay playing a grownup. But he was good. Okay maybe that’s pushing it…he was fine… Now I hope that he can keep it up. I really hope he can become a better actor.
                               
Sterling Knight playing Efron’s son is somewhat impressive. And although Michelle Tratchenberg’s storyline is weak…I like her…so…I didn’t really care. She does her typical teenage angst thing, but it doesn’t weaken the film. The character is particularly underwritten though. Leslie Mann of course does good work in her throwaway role. But she does what she’s supposed to and she does it well.
                                              
C+

2 comments:

Alex in Movieland said...

I have a strange sexual daddy-like attraction for Zac Efron! I haven't seen any of his movies, as I consider myself to be way over the High School Musical target. but how sweet & adorable is he... too bad no one will know he exists in 10 exists.

Alex in Movieland said...

years I meant :P