Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Concerning Roman Polanski...

I don’t like writing about things non entertainment wise, unless it’s about my life…but I decided I’d finally address the issue with Roman Polanski. You’ve probably heard snippets about the issues. Essentially, it goes like this
                
Everyone is going to have their opinion on this…and that’s normal. Polanski was charged with rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under 14, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor. The charges were dismissed under the terms of the plea bargain, and he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.       


Under the terms of the plea agreement, according to the documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, the court ordered Polanski to report to a state prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation, but granted a stay of ninety days to allow him to complete his current project. Under the terms set by the court, he was permitted to travel abroad. Polanski returned to California and reported to Chino State Prison for the evaluation period, and was released after 42 days. All parties expected Polanski to get only probation at the subsequent sentencing hearing, but after an alleged conversation with LA Deputy District Attorney David Wells, the judge "suggested to Polanski's attorneys that he would send the director to prison and order him deported". In response to the threat of imprisonment, Polanski fled the United States.               Via
                                   
My feelings are simple. There’s this thing I vaguely remembered from my law class about the Death Penalty. If a person was convicted and given the death penalty there was a stipulation that the execution must be carried out and/or scheduled within some years…usually 10-15. If it exceeded it was deemed as inhumane and sometimes an appeal was even possible and the convict could get life imprisonment in stead. Now, obviously what Polanski did was wrong. And his fleeing the country only exacerbated it. Roman Polanski didn’t go all Bin Laden on us…if you wanted to find him, you could. So why didn’t the authorities arrest him then. Why did they wait thirty two years later? That’s my issue! It’s incredibly fickle for the authorities to now arrest him. I know that time doesn’t absolve him of the crime, but like that adage goes poop or get off the pot. And they haven’t pooped in over three decades, so by default they should be off the pot.
                       

One last thing, regardless of your thoughts on this I don’t think it’s valid to call out the celebrities for signing the support Polanski document. Media personnel have gone crazy saying that the celebrities are only signing it because he’s a celebrity. Well, doh! I mean, if some person in your group got charged with whatever, you’d sign the petition because he’s part of your group. Right? Polanski is one of them, so they support him.
                    
What do you think of the issue? Diagree…agree…I’d like to hear.

7 comments:

Univarn said...

Personally I think what he did was rather sick, so I never thought him going to jail was that big of a deal. Fleeing though, makes everything look worse, though I read somewhere, Polanski was very careful to avoid countries with extradition laws.

I think up until now the general consensus was he stays over there nobody bothered him, then last year when he tried to get the outstanding warrent on him thrown out, he rustled up old feathers, and got the law offices all high and mighty on him.

Personally though, I think it would have been a million times easier if they just took care of 30 years ago, I don't really care. I hate to see a great director behind bars, but the choices he made lead him there.

Sally-Sal said...

He stole that girl's innocence, pure and simple. Whether she's forgiven him or not doesn't matter. What he did was wrong. He got caught. He should man up and do the right thing.

Lolita said...

I think it's ridiculous. When it's such a long time ago, that girl will probably not have any trauma about anymore. (She must be almost 40 now!)

I only say this because I don't think he raped her - according to his autobiography she didn't tell him her age, and he thought she was well over 20. When I was 15 people thought I was 25, so there are a lot of girls looking much older. And yes, there's still a great age difference, so Polanski sleeping with a 20 year old woman would still be considered sick to some people - but Jesus! Which man wouldn't want a young and fresh woman? You can't blame him for that. By the way - many older women like younger men too. Look at Gloria Swanson's last husband, and Norma Shearer's. Or following Brigitte Bardot quote featured on my blog:

"I have always adored beautiful young men. Just because I grow older, my taste doesn't change. So if I can still have them, why not?"

I bet that girl loved the idea of being a famous director's groupie, and later realized what she could gain by it. Errol Flynn found himself in a similar situation, described in his autobiography "My Wicked, Wicked Ways".

I just mean that people should let go of the age issue, and instead try to find out if there was a rape or not. And like, do it when it's a relatively current issue.

There's my opinion!

Twister said...

The perv should go straight to jail. It doesn't matter how long ago it was - he commited a crime, and he has to do the time.

Jude said...

Why is nobody mentioning James Dean's death!? He died on this day in 1955!

RC said...

I feel like his sentence was pretty gracious to begin with - to flee was an additional wrong.

He should be a man and go to court instead of running and take the punishment given

Alex in Movieland said...

this topic always made me angry. he did a horrible thing and needs to go to jail! So what if he's a good director?! the accusations were soooo serious. and reading what the victim said...

what do you mean why did they arrest him now??? Because NOW he entered a country which has an agreement with America! France doesn't have it. Romania, for example, has it... so... it's now that they've catched him.