Tuesday, 22 September 2009

The Best Pictures: There Is No Best

Kristopher Tapley gave his list of the ten Best Best Picture Winners. I’m not sure if he means best, or his favourite…but it’s all good and so is the list. I’m still in the process of compiling my hundred favourite films so I can’t list my favourite Best Picture winners in order. But I will list my top 29 in a quasi-chronological ascending order.
                    
It Happened One Night
Gone With the Wind
Rebecca
All About Eve
Casablanca
On the Waterfront
From Here to Eternity
Ben-Hur
The Apartment
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
Tom Jones

 The Sting
The Sound of Music
A Man For All Seasons
Midnight Cowboy
The Godfather
The Godfather II
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Amadeus
Schindler’s List
The English Patient
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Chicago
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Departed
                         
Many of the films above are vying for a place in my Top 100 Films. Now I know what you’re probably saying, where’s so and so film etc…but this is not a list of the Best Picture winners…in fact what the hell does the worst best mean. I think it should be stricken from the English Language and replaced with favourite or another word akin. Generally I don’t have a problem with the Oscar winning Best Pictures…well not often. I think at least forty are very good to excellent films. The winners are rarely my favourites, but that doesn’t really matter. Off the top of my head there are only three winners I absolutely hate Gigi, An American in Paris and Rocky. A strongly dislike a few others, but these three have no redeeming qualities for me.
                                

Anyhow, have it. What shocking omissions or inclusions do you see? And what does your list look like?
                         


addendum...Braveheart....I HATE YOU TOO!!!

7 comments:

joe burns said...

How can you put The Departed, Rebecca, and The Apartment o=on this list? Happy to see Chicago and Annie hall though.

Danny King said...

Andrew I have to ask: How difficult is it to come up with your 100 favorite films and put them in order? That seems like a very tall order (to put it lightly) especially because any new film you see could potentially earn a spot. On top of that, i would find it so frustrating if I found out I forgot a film, but I guess that's why it's a long-term process.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

Danny...don't even get me started. The cutoff year is 2007 so any films after that is ineligible. New films always seem better but it's when they they start aging. That's when you know if you like them or not. I have like 150 that has been there for about a year and every now and then I keep ranking. 1-10 are pretty static though. I'll probably explain the Top 100 one of these days - properly.

And Joe...what can I say? Sorry? But the heart wants...well you get it...

Danny King said...

The cutoff makes sense, or else I think I would drive myself crazy. Aging is definitely a big part of a film's worth. And I would imagine that the top 10 would be pretty stable, while maybe 80-100 keep getting changed around.

Alex in Movieland said...

I used to have a Top 250 but about 4-5 years ago, but haven't worked on it since. It takes a lot of re-watching stuff and they're never as great the 2nd time around :) so it's like building something on moving sand.


Gigi, An American in Paris and Rocky? I have seen only the beginning of An American in Paris! 6-7 years ago I though Gigi was decent. And even though the competition was gold, I enjoyed Rocky and would give around an 8. fabulous supporting cast!

On My Latest Oscar film I had started seeing all the BP winners, but for now stopped at 1937 (moving to Greece will allow me to go just to 1940, but I'll start it again in january). I can easily say the worst BP winner ever is CAVALCADE (1933)! But Broadway Melody and Cimorron (!) aren't that far from the distinction either.

James D. said...

I am very hesitant to have long lists like that. They are just so hard. Usually, the best will come to your mind quickly, as will the worst, but that middle section is a struggle.

Are you a Godfather or Godfather Part II guy?

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

James...It's tentative...Godfather...although I have only seen Part II once...