Tuesday, 25 August 2009

The Wizard of Who?

Remember that post I did a while ago about To Kill A Mockingbird, well consider a continuation...

As you should know by now, it's the seventieth anniversary of The Wizard of Oz - one of the most beloved films. I'm not sure if this was the first film I saw, but I know that Judy Garland was definitely the first woman [girl?] on TV I fell in love with. Anyhow, I felt bad that my nephew had never seen it. He likes music, he likes animals and he loves color. So, since I'm usually the one that gives him movies [he's five] and he has watched some stuff that was definitely not meant for a five year old [Sweeney Todd, Chicago, bits of Howards End, Big Fish etc]...he's a good sport but I really don't think it's appropriate cinema... but I digress. Today I went to the DVD store...well the one closest to me to get a copy of The Wizard of Oz. A young girl [she's probably about 18] asked me to repeat. Thinking "WTF" to myself, I did. She did some typing into her system and then asked me if I meant, The Muppets' Wizard of Oz. You know that cringe inducing crap with that wannabe singer Ashanti.

"No!" I said, annoyed. "The movie Wizard of Oz, the musical, with Judy Garland, from the 30s."
She frowned, then said "Sorry, we don't have that."

Don't be afraid Dorothy. I still know who you are...

Don't think I'm making this up because I ain't. I wish I was. I'll just go downtown and get it somewhere else tomorrow. But I think that girl has to mentally ill. How can anyone not know about this movie? Tsk. Tsk.

Anyhow...check out these posts.
Movies Kick Ass Blog takes a look at the reception to the film in 1939
Movie Mania wishes it happy birthday [and I must say straight men love Judy Garland just as much]
In Contention gives ten Top Ten Lists it should be on
Film Experiene takes a look at that one iconic song

2 comments:

MovieMania said...

Haha! Do straight men really love Judy as much?? As a straight guy myself, I have never had any kind of love for her, but I'm probably just stereotyping her as a direct gay icon.

MovieMan0283 said...

I recently tried to explain this film to a French girl and she thought I was crazy. But then it turned out the film had a different title in France (of course). What's the video clerk's excuse? I assume she was not French...