Friday, 14 August 2009

Literature Review

I posted what seems like a lifetime ago that I restarted D.H. Lawrence’s classic Women in Love after reaching half way and forgetting where I’d started. Finally though I’m at the last 50 pages, but a sense of trepidation came over me. I know something horrible will happen. I feel really guilty about not finishing this novel yet since during this time I’ve finished A Town Called Alice, Wuthering Heights [again] and Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallowstwice. It’s not that Women in Love is not a good book. It’s just so taxing to read. The language is so advanced, it feels like studying. I can’t remember the last time I felt so young reading a novel. Even Shakespeare is not this esoteric.
Oh. Well, back to the reading. What literary pieces have you been perusing?


2 comments:

Alex in Movieland said...

from DH Lawrence, I've only read Chatterley many years ago. And it was, of course, a Romanian translation.

Now I'm reading Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis because I want to see the '36 film. After long struggle, I've finished Great Expectations and before that the spectacularly mature & WAY AHEAD OF ITS TIME The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

Encore Entertainment said...

The Heart is A Lonely Hunter is another one I've got to read. After getting half way through a looooong time ago I just put it down. And yes Charles Dickens is a struggle to read.