Thursday, 27 August 2009

Great Expectations?

In Contention has recently announced that plans to adapt Great Eepectations are underway. It's the first theatrical adaptation since David Lean did it way back when. A version I have, unfortunately never seen. I don't really like this novel that much to be honest. The abridged version scared the shit out of me as a child, for waht reason other than I was a freaky child...I do not know. I feel that adapting A Tale of Two Cities would be way cooler. But still, this could be good. Just because it's a British Period piece, and I am so a sucker for those. 
Having a strong cast for this will really be the cinch though, and the first thing that came to me is that they have to get Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Havisham. She would totally sink her teeth into that psycho role...and yes I do think Mrs. Havisham is a psycho.I like her, but she's still a psycho. But the main casting for this film will be Pip. The protagonist. And really I have no idea where they're going to go with this, but I'm going to prempt them and be all predictable and choose none other James McAvoy. Hell yes, he would be fantastic. Casting Estella - way more difficult. A young Helena Bonham Carter would have been ideal, but alas...life goes on and people get older. And I really have no idea. Whoever she is she's gotta be smoking.
But tell me, dear reader, who would be the ideal Estella, what about Magwitch? Do you even care? Have you read the novel? Which books should be adapted?

VOTE KATHARINE HEPBURN AWARDS

3 comments:

Lisa in Oz said...

Good question! Estella is tricky...maybe Gemma Arterton? Emma Watson could even be interesting, although she's probably too typecast as Hermione Granger.

Encore Entertainment said...

Lisa would they cast an unknown? Good suggestion though... Emma Watson is pretty but she seems sooo young...and super sweet too...

Alex in Movieland said...

Angela Lansbury is too old for the part :) I want someone in her 70s