Saturday, 1 August 2009

A Few Words On Coraline

Free ads




Lowes Coupon
How to Blog






I don’t know why it took so long for me to see Coraline, and I don’t know why it took so long for me to write about it. It’s been a while since I put my rating on the right side of the computer and yes you’re seeing correctly it’s an A- in the corner. But now that I’ve waited so long, I don’t know what to say other than it’s just wonderful. The last animated film that I enjoyed so whole heartedly was Corpse Bride...and that should probably be no surprise since Henry Selick the director of Coraline worked with Tim Burton on Nightmare Before Christmas. Corpse Bride remains as my favourite animated film this side of the millennium, and although Coraline is not there it is certainly in my high books.

Coraline tells the story of a young girl who discovers a new world where everything, including her typically remiss parents are improved and incredibly doting...and world of perfection. But as with most things that seem perfect, she soon realises that it is too good to be true. The aftermath of this discovery is both funny and haunting in synchronicity. In looking at the wonder of the film we cannot undermine the contributions of the voice actor especially Teri Hatcher who is surprisingly spot on as the villain of Coraline. Although the general tone of Coraline is not as dark as Corpse Bride the overall theme may be more resonating for the adults watching which makes sense seeing that Coraline is something of a children’s story for adults.

I know that by the time fall comes around the good live action films [An Education, ShutterIsland, Nine, Bright Star], but I don’t think any animated film is going to impress me as much as Coraline did...and I pray to God that the Academy will reward it where they didn’t reward Corpse Bride, with an Oscar for Best Animated Feature.



1 comment:

anahita said...

it took me ages to watch this too, but when I did see it I adored it. It did have some faults, some parts felt dragged and some parts resolved too quickly, but over all it was just so unsettling and beautiful and imaginative that I just wanted to give henry selick a big hug.