Saturday, 8 August 2009

The Aviator: A New American Classic

I did a review for The Aviator over at Film for the Soul...

Martin Scorsese holds a strange place in Oscar and film history. He has been touted as the frontrunner in the 1976, 1980, 1990, 2002 and 2004 Oscar races and save for 2002 it’s probably arguable that his film has endured more than the eventual winner. 2004 was my first serious bout with the Oscars. As a 12 year old future film enthusiast I had not seen any of the major films nominated but after following each of the major precursors [BAFTA, SAG, FPA, FCA, PGA etc] I was certain that The Aviator was the best of the bunch. Leo, Cate and Scorsese who I all loved at the time, and still do couldn’t do any wrong in my eyes. And Cate was playing Kate Hepburn who I had just begun an obsession with. I knew I was going to love this movie.

No comments: