Saturday, 25 July 2009

Stupid People

So yesterday, I went to the video store with my nephew. He wanted Dora, or Diego or some other weird children's film. Anyways, I'm looking through the classics section and this guy starts talking to me. People tend to do that to me often, it is not cool! He says he's a film enthusiast etc, asks me what I like, what movies are good, and the usual. I happened to have a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird in my hand so I say, "This is a good film. Gregory Peck is good in this." He looks at the DVD his eyebrows furrowes. "Hmmmm. Never heard of this one before..."

WTF? Call me an intellectual snob if you will, but seriously? This man has to be over 50 and he's never heard of To Kill A Mockingbird or Gregory Peck or Harper Lee. I swear to God, stupid people seek me out. I mean in this messed up world it's rare if children know about this story, but an adult...almost a senior citizen? Absolutely criminal.

Please tell me you know what To Kill A Mockingbird is? Or at least tell me you heard about it?

7 comments:

MovieMania said...

That is very unusual. I love the film and the book - two American classics.

Joe Shetina said...

I think I'd be bothered right away when this person walks up and starts talking. I think people are stupid in general. It doesn't surprise me that he didn't know.

Marcy said...

Was the person someone who grew up in America or lived in America for a long time? If so, then he's stupid--in terms of social and cultural consciousness, that is.

Encore Entertainment said...

to Marcy: I live in Guyana so I doubt that the guy was American, but I don't think that that's any excuse. The fact that this guy claimed to be a film buff would certainly mean he knew of good films...and although I will say To Kill A Mockingbird holds a certain amount of potency for Americans it's a socially relevant regardless of location. Even if he did not know the film, but even the book? I'd be just as annoyed if a literature enthusiast didn't know of D.H. Lawrence, and I'm sure you would be too even though he's not American.

Joe: You are seriously harsh, possibly right, but still harsh.

Movie Mania: I didn't find it unbelievable, but I suppose Marcy's point is valid.

Alex in Movieland said...

if he's not an American you are being a bit harsh. :) Yet truth is he WAS sitting in a video store, so that means he must have SOME general interest in movies. and it's one thing not to know To Kill a Mockingbird and a whole different to have never heard of Gregory Peck :)

I live in Eastern Europe; there are a lot of people here who don't know shit about To Kill a Mockingbird, mostly because those 40+ are not familiar with American culture.

Dame James said...

Well, it's the same thing as a 20-something college student calling themselves a "film buff" and never seeing a film made before The Godfather or (worse) claiming that old movies are shit without having ever seen one.

Joe Shetina said...

Yeah, I'm American...we have our share of bright people...I don't know that many but I'm sure there are.